Why Goal Setting Doesn't Work

Options
MaryTheIceCube
MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
I wanted to share this article I read just now. I found it rather interesting, and definitely made me think a little differently about my "goals" versus "intentions".

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201104/why-goal-setting-doesnt-work

Replies

• jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Interesting indeed, I think I may have to change my thinking on the goals I have set, and write instead my intentions concerning weight loss, healthy eating and healthy living.
  • nuimproved
    nuimproved Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article. Our company is going through a LEAN process where we are all part of the production monitoring systems now and the staff is more involved in defining the processes that were once dictated to us. It's interesting but a big part of it is the goal setting. Of those that were in the pilot program, they are now achieving all of their goals and are asking for increasing rewards for doing what they were hired to do. It is very discouraging though when we are all so involved in making positive changes in the workplace and we are not recognized for it. I'm one of the few in my group with a good work ethic because I've owned businesses and I look at the big picture. I don't have tunnel visions and the "not my job" mentality. I consistently produce more than 150% of expected rates yet I'm still one of the least paid members of our team.

I say if you want an increase in production that is consistently motivated, add production pay - this way those who produce are earning what they should and those who don't should be grateful they still have a job. People lose sight of the fact that your paycheck is your REWARD for coming to work everyday. But I agree that setting goals that are basically unattainable or unsustainable is not only mentally defeating but physically exhausting as well.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm definitely going to pass that along at work.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Interesting indeed, I think I may have to change my thinking on the goals I have set, and write instead my intentions concerning weight loss, healthy eating and healthy living.

That was kind of my thought process after having read the article and relating it to my own "goal" struggles over the past year. I have a feeling I might rebel against myself less if I'm not always pushing toward a goal with a hard and fast deadline and focus instead on intentions, and following through with them.
    I say if you want an increase in production that is consistently motivated, add production pay - this way those who produce are earning what they should and those who don't should be grateful they still have a job. People lose sight of the fact that your paycheck is your REWARD for coming to work everyday. But I agree that setting goals that are basically unattainable or unsustainable is not only mentally defeating but physically exhausting as well.

I totally agree. It's the way pay and rewards should be. Thanks for passing the article along to your coworkers!