Toxins released as you lose weight?!

Options
So, I've been reading about how toxins are released from fat cells as you lose weight, so that you can actually get sick from weight loss. But, you can supposedly detox from this - like by sweating in saunas and taking sea salt baths, and drinking lot of water. Anyone have any other ideas or experience in detoxing?

Replies

• StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump... I've been quite sick everytime I start working out and pushing extra hard... doesn't make sense... maybe there is some truth to that...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've heard starting a new intense exercise routine can lower your immune system as your body tries to protect itself from the stress. And you can get sick. This is a new one. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think you can get any kind of permanent sickness from losing weight.

We release toxins through our pee and our pores on a daily basis.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    You detox your body natural by drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of raw fruits and veggies. I've been detoxing my body every year and i find that the more raw foods i eat and the more i sleep the easier it is on my body. I never had any bad side effects from detoxing other than the time when i tried the master cleanse because that's just a joke diet that doesn't do anything but make your sick and i learned that the hard way.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I suppose its true...sweat releases toxins.... which is why you are encouraged to both sweat ( exercise) and detox ( drink loads of water) to help push... toxin release comes in other forms besides sweat...acne, bowel movements, urination and vomiting to name a few...

moral of the story, dont eat a lot of crap....DRINK LOTS of water....when you think you have drank enough, exercise and drink more....
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    BUMP the only thing I have heard on this subject is while breastfeeding not to lose weight drasticly b/c toxins can be released into your breast milk.....no idea if that is true or not.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    my dear, you are VERY wise!
  • Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this for nursing mothers, when I was breastfeeding my daughter I was told by my doctor not to lose weight too quickly because the broken down toxins would be in my breast milk and be ingested by my daughter. He didn't metion anything about it making me sick though, but it seems possible.
  • Shawna0101
    Options
    I have heard of this for nursing mothers, when I was breastfeeding my daughter I was told by my doctor not to lose weight too quickly because the broken down toxins would be in my breast milk and be ingested by my daughter. He didn't metion anything about it making me sick though, but it seems possible.
  • Shawna0101
    Options
    Oops not sure why this posted twice.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Getting sick in this fashion would be extremely rare. I know it happened in an episode of House, but the toxins that would be involved aren't the sort of daily "toxins" from living near traffic or having impurities in the water system. Firstly, they need to be lipophilic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipophilicity), which means they dissolve in fats. Then you would need to be exposed to them in serious quantities. Then they would need to actually be harmful, as opposed to most 'toxins' that your body just flushes away in the normal process of living.

If you did get poisoned by a toxic substance that had been lying dormant in fatcells, some kind of 'cleanse' would definitely not be a solution. Cleanses in general are just money grabbers and do very little that benefits you and can potentially be harmful. The only cleanse that's ever worth trying is eating fresh, unprocessed food and doing moderate amounts of exercise. Best if you keep it up for the rest of your life.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Think you're mistaken Ketones vs. Ketoacidosis?
  • PreparingforLaunch
    Options
    tagged