Something i never knew but im learning.... regarding fat fre

lovinmamaxo
lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I had a serious reality check when i bought fat free hidden valley ranch dressing.. while it only has 30 calories per tbsp it is over 400mg in sodium for 3 tbsp. Isn't that insane?? Even my carb smart whole wheat bread has a lot of sodium... my light italian dressing loaded with sodium, even hummus, triscuit crackers have a good bit of sodium. I am not as surprised by the frozen meals/pre packaged stuff but omg... no wonder why my BP has been up a few times in the past... i use to LOADDD my salads with salad dressing! But in the places you would least expect it like low fat/ fat free foods it has the most sodium in them. I'm already at like 1300mg in sodium today.. im allowed 2500. What facts about food didn't you know before but you know now?

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    I didn't realize how much sugar was in most things that I eat! I guess I have a wicked sweet tooth! :tongue:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    A lot of those products have a lot of sugar in them to make them taste better. Definitely read labels. Try to eat fresh as much as possible!
  • wow! you really do need to read all the food labels eh? that is sooo surprising! thanks for posting this, i would never have thought there would be that much sodium in something that is low fat etc.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Sadly when they take out the fat (which by the way is not the problem) they usually sub it with something that is worse like sodium, sugar, or other additives. A low fat diet is not effective, as that is not what is making us fat, the problem goes much deeper than that. I have learned the hard way that to get sodium under control you need to start making your own meals and watch the amount of processed junk we take in.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I'm trying to keep mostly with real food (TRY being the operative word here) All the lo-fat, lo-carb, etc. seem to have too many nasty ingredients snuck into them.

It's not so much fat that's a problem, but the type of fat....

Watch out for saturated fats, cholesterol, mono- and di-glycerides and any thing hydrogentated.

a healthy mix of Omega 3s, Monounsaturated and Poly unsaturated fats are actually good for you.
    To name just a few benefits they help reduce diabetes, enhance brain function and protect our nerves
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    sometimes it's best to try to eat fresh or real/regular foods and just eat less or make the sacrifice. whenever something is light, fat free, sugar free, there's usually a catch-too many preservatives, sodium, sugar, or fewer nutrients than the real thing. good luck!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    I didn't realize how much sugar was in most things that I eat! I guess I have a wicked sweet tooth! :tongue:

I know they stick sugar in a lot of things that I used to think of as "real food" I'd rather cut the sugar out there and eat a couple of cookies now and then.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Scary, isn't it? Check the labels for sugar free jell-o or your fave flavored rice cakes! You may as well be licking a stick of salt. :-D
  • most fat free things also contain sucralose or Splenda or some other artificial sweetener
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    I learned the same...that fat free and low fat are not always the best for you! The guy that wrote "eat this, not that" really taught me alot about "hidden" fillers and just what processed food does to you and your weight loss!! Best of wishes on your journey through this difficult and confusing challenge!!
    Shelis
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    One thing that I have found that even some of your so called good foods such as fresh fruits, vegetables and lettuces even have sodium in them.
This discussion has been closed.