Exercise Clothes

Options
doutri2
doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
Have you ever spent more than you wanted to on exercise clothes? I usually try to get away with buying cheap. However, yesterday, I REALLY splurged on a pair of padded bike shorts and now I am having buyer's regret.

I haven't cut the tags off yet, so the thought of returning them is still lingering.

What about you?

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you haven't worn them or sweated in them you should be fine returning them.
  • dadoo26
    dadoo26 Posts: 5
    Options
    The cheaper the clothes the greater the pain. I always invest in good clothing - think about how much you will use them and the result and you will see them as an investment not a waste. KEEP ON BIKIN!
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    My weakness is Lululemon. Nothing in there is cheap, and everything in there is fantastic. I work out primarily in their tops - so worth the money. The only other company that has come close to having equally good running/workout tops is Nike.

Also, the bag I bring to work every day is a Lululemon bag. I'm not allowing myself to shop there again till I finish the triathlon I'm doing in July ... :)
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a few pairs of lounge shorts and a tank top. Other than that I wear shorts and a t-shirt. Can't stand the tank top I bought. lol
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I hate shopping! And I always feel guilty doing it. GOOD fitness clothes are definitely worth the money. But I gave up on tops a long time ago because my ratty army tan t-shirts are actually perfect for me. I happen to have a million of them too. I say you should have a couple good pair of pants/shorts that are going to last a long time. Working out already sucks and is uncomfortable, no need to add to the stress by wearing cheap gear.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I do get buyers regret but my fiancee gets annoyed because I'm always doing for others and getting stuff for the kids and NEVER buy myself anything. That is his biggest gripe, that i don't shop enough for myself. LOL

I say if you can afford it, keep 'em! Especially if you're an avid biker, you probably need to invest in a really good pair of shorts....

That's my 2 cents. :)
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    You get what you pay for and that is especially true for cycling shorts! I bought cheap once and it was painful after riding in them. It's not like you are only going to wear them once so I say splurge and get what will last and be comfortable!!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    Since I'm a runner, my shoes are what I spend on. If I rode a bike you best believe that I would have a quality pair of bike shorts. To me that is not a splurge, it is a necessity.
  • Maggiethu
    Maggiethu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Will they motivate you to go biking/spinning? If the answer is yes... don't return them.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I usually hit the clearance rack, I don't require any specialized apparel.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My trick is to shop sales. Victoria Secret is actually my favorite workout clothes. I have 3 workout tank tops from there that I wear all the time and two fantastic pairs of yoga pants (one is a crop). Also American Eagle has nice yoga pants and I own a few of their sports bras. If you're looking for decent but inexpensive, Target is a good bet. I've been stalking the VS website practically daily for deals and I got the yoga pants for $20 and each of the workout tops were only $7! Can't beat that! Esp. for VS apparel.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I have a friend who says she is willing to spend a dollar for every time she will wear something. Like if something is $20 and she knows she'll wear it 20+ times she won't let herself feel bad about buying it. She always looks great and her clothes last forever. I've tried to adopt her philosophy but I still feel sticker shock a lot of the time.

I am sure the shorts are worth it, but you don't want to be thinking about how much they cost every time you put them on. Do what works for you. =]
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You'll appreciate a good pair of padded cycling shorts. They are very much worth the extra money. Trust me!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The cheaper the clothes the greater the pain. I always invest in good clothing - think about how much you will use them and the result and you will see them as an investment not a waste. KEEP ON BIKIN!

I agree completely. You can find cheaper things but it won't wick away the sweat, it''ll leave you with chaffing and rashes, or for biking long distances, your tush will be mad at you for a LONG time.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    cheap wal mart brand t shirts and sweat shorts for me.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I shop at outlet malls for my workout clothes. They are the same clothes.. just last season or w/e.

I've gotten really good deals on Under Armour clothes that way. I also got a pair of good Nike gym shoes that way too.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Think about all the money people spend on prescriptions and doctor visits fighing illnesses that are related to being overweight. Do your thing, and make exercising fun and as comfortable as possible.
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    I have to agree, if they motivate you even more, KEEP THEM. I spent a $100 on a jacket for running outside - I still haven't gotten to wear it as it's still too cold here, but it's keeping me going cause I want to wear it!
  • fmktjod
    fmktjod Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love shopping and LOVE having good quality gear for my various activities. Having nice workout clothes and accessories motivates me and helps me feel like I'm really taking care of myself. This doesn't always mean I have to spend a lot of money to get good-quality, long-lasting digs. I love REI and Lululemon, but I also check out Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx and thrift stores. Here is my basic rule, if I can afford it and I want it and have not been able to find it less expensive on-line or elsewhere - then I buy it. I usually only have buyers remorse when I over extend myself financially which I don't do very often these days.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, if they motivate you even more, KEEP THEM. I spent a $100 on a jacket for running outside - I still haven't gotten to wear it as it's still too cold here, but it's keeping me going cause I want to wear it!

You just made me feel a lot better. The biking shorts were originally $100, but I bought them on the clearance rack at REI, so they were not too much of a clearance price. While trying them on, I did notice how ultra comfortable they were and I do plan on attempting a long bike ride this summer before I have foot surgery in August.

So, I guess I rewarded myself before accomplishing my goal. I will have to remind myself of that fact while on this long bike ride. It will be my motivation to get to the end.

Thanks for all your input.