Bruising?

Options
So I've been working on this weight loss thing since January. I've lost a total of 38lbs and I'm 12lbs away from my goal...which I may change..

Anyways, since January I've noticed numerous bruises all over my legs and occationally arms/abdomen/shoulders.. I don't really do anything sporty or anything like that and I just run on the treadmill or elliptical at the gym and use weight machines.. But still nothing to give me bruises. I do get bruises from things that I do though, like I went camping this weekend and slept on the ground which was REALLY hard and uncomfortable and woke up with bruises alllll over the sides of my legs and my shoulders.. But its a little weird that I got bruises from laying on a hard ground..

I wanted to know if anyone is experiencing things like this? Bruising really easily. I heard weightloss can do this.

Replies

• abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I *think* anemia can cause that, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing this on my legs and arms too.. I've been meaning to look into it, but I haven't yet.
    It's nice to know I am not the only one experiencing this though.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the corrolation with weight loss but I have experienced this ever since I can remember. People are always asking me where I get the bruises from and I don't always have an answer. I even had a "friend" in high school spread rumors around school that my father abused me. Not the case! I've never got a concrete answer about it and any tests that I have had done have come back normal. I am curious to see if anyone on here can shed some light on to this topic as well.

Thanks for the post! We can be bruise buddies, I guess. LOL

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Time2BSkinny
    Options
    Anemia can cause easy bruising! It's when you don't have enough iron in you....I've tried to donate blood a couple times before and couldn't because my iron was to low-I also bruise fairly easy. Hope this helps!
  • kkuhly
    kkuhly Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a few popping up on my upper legs, hips and abdomen too! Hopefully someone can give us an answer!!!
  • sarsenault
    Options
    i personally think that you are most likely deficient in iron but it could also be from clotting disorders, or thinning of your skin. I was for a while and i just got some iron supplements and i take them once a day after a meal.
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    I would consider getting checked out by a doctor to rule out any thing serious. Better safe than sorry. I bruise easy too... but nothing like what you're mentioning.
    I must add... CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss you've already accomplished! Awesome job!
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I noticed it more when I ran on the treadmill, when I do aerobics or pilates I don't get bruising. I wonder if it isn't from the impact when running?
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question. I just recently started using a treadmill and doing sprints working up my time. Since then, I've gotten mysterious bruises on my legs too. Not so much my arms that I've seen. This is odd!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Bruising can often mean an iron deficiency. Try increasing iron rich foods. If that doesnt help, I would contact a dr.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Heres a list of the 10 Iron rich foods:

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I bruise easily too, then again I'm also anemic. I take extra iron and that helps.
  • bigsardine
    Options
    Too much vitamin D can also cause bruising. I'd suggest asking your doctor about it. He/she can likely give you a blood test to check for some common causes of easy bruising.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I HAD THIS WHEN I FIRST STARTED WORKING OUT...I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LOW IRON AND A B VITAMIN.... BUT UNEXPLAINED BRUISING IS A SYMPTOM OF MANY SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITIONS,L ONE IS A FORM OF LEUKEMIA....I AM NOT TRYING TO FREAK YOU OUT BUT PLEASE PLEASE SEE YOUR DR!!!!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bruising doesn't necessarily mean you're anemic; however, many people who are anemic bruise easy.

Iron helps transport oxygen in your body through red blood cells.. Anemia symptoms can include: Fatigue, pale skin, a fast or irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, and/or cold hands and feet.

I would lean more toward clotting factors. Have your platelet levels checked. Are you taking NSAIDs regularly (Advil, Aleve, etc) or fish oil supplements? These can increase your likelihood to bleed.

Bottom line: See your doctor and have him run a CBC with Differential.
  • KimBob249
    Options
    I used to bruise like a champ, dieting/exercising or not. When I started regularily getting enough vitamin K and iron (daily multivitamin on top of good eating habits) it was a dramatic change within 30 days. Check with a health care person of course, especially since this is a new thing for you.
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :)

I'm definately gonna get to a doctor. I really think its from losing weight since thats when it started so maybe an iron deficiancy like a lot of you said since I eat less... Or thinning of the skin cuz I've heard that a lot too..
    My family does have a history of blood clotting though and my sister has a folic acid deficiancy which I've heard can cause bruising as well.. So maybe it could be that.

Thanks again!
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing this a lot also. Lots of unexplained bruising since my weight loss.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've bruised very easily as long as I can remember. My mother was the same as are my sisters. The doctor's verdict was fragile capillaries and to make sure we got enough Vitamin C.