my body isn't fair on me...

Options
Sometimes I feel like this.

I really struggle sometimes as I have been trying to eat "in moderation". I have gone from being an EXTREMELY restrictive eater a few years ago to having a much better understanding of how my body works and a desire to be healthy (thanks MFP) so am eating in a sustainable way - mostly good, a few treats

On a week when I eat correctly I loose - maybe half a kilo a week. Exactly what my calculator is set at..... 1 pound/week loss

BUT if I have even the smallest thing not on my planned eating (e.g. a muffin one morning. or scoop of my Grannies homemade icecream one night) I IMMEDIATELY put on a lot of weight.

For example over the weekend I went to stay with my Mum and ate some "treats" like a couple of ginger nuts and a small serving of icecream one night. I also went Kayaking and tramping and was close to my cal goals. When I weighed in after the weekend I had put on a kilo and a half!

How is that even possible!

It makes me so upset and I'm starting to freak out whenever my calories are within 300 of my goal because I know this can happen.

I suppose the first thing is making sure I am measuring accurately. I am going to buy some kitchen scales so I can accurately weigh everything I eat. -

But then how could my loss be so accurate when I am eating well AND surely I can't have been 10,000 calories off, the amount needed to gain 1.5 kilos in a weekend!

Does any one else get this? Why does it happen and what can I do?

Replies

• Shawna0101
    Shawna0101 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your sodium levels, sodium can make you pack on water weight fast. Keep drinking lots of water to flush the excess sodium out of your system. I had a high sodium couple of days and put on almost 2lbs.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was thinking maybe if you changed your goal to two lbs a week you could have room to fluctuate(did I spell that right?). One week you might only lose a pound and others you might lose two. How is your sodim levels? I could gain five lbs of water weight and lose it in a couple days. That might be it.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think you would find that if those "extra" calories were clean/healthy calories, this wouldn't happen AND you did not put on that much weight -- when we eat good, clean, healthy calories, and then throw in some ice cream....or my weakness chocolate covered raisins, those toxins (sugar, preservatives etc) cause our body to become inflamed, once we get back on track with the right kinds of food, and flush the toxins with water, we become un-inflamed.

I've found that I can't eat any preservatives or I "gain" inflamation or so called bloat. I now shop only around the outside of the grocery store and have started going organic and it's made a world of difference.

I personally have found that there is a HUGE difference between different types of calories....calories in - calories out only seems to work for a while
    the difference has happened since I decided to make every calorie, be a healthy calorie ---- I still sneak some chocolate covered raisins every now and again.....but I KNOW I will bloat and need to drink a lot of water the following days. I'm getting to the point that the good calories make me feel SO dang good, that I don't want any of those junk calories any more.
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was just ranting about this same thing this morning!!! I'm trying not to get too discouraged so I will encourage you to do the same thing!!! Stick with it - the scale can fluctuate so much throughout the week.