Breastfeeding???

Options
I have a 16 week old baby, would counting calories still be a good idea??

Replies

• keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I breastfed my kids and was also counting cals. A nutritionist/dietician told me to stay around 1800-2000 calories. This way you lose a little slower but you won't affect your supply. I stuck to about 1800 and was able to lose weight and also continue with nursing.
  • RachelH25
    RachelH25 Posts: 108
    Options
    I found it helpful to count cals while I was breastfeeding. I had a tendency to eat too little trying to loose weight but then my milk production would drop. It helped me to know I was eating enough. Don't worry too much about your weight though. The most inportant thing is to be healthy during this time and take care of you little one. :) Good luck to you!
  • ericahefner
    Options
    I have an 11 week old and I just added 500 calories to what the site said I could have...that put me at 1700 a day. I am losing slowly, but losing. Good Luck!
  • arush22
    arush22 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a 4 month old baby and am still breastfeeding him. I allow myself whatever mfp says daily and I graze on fruit/yogurt if I am still hungry. You only really need an extra 300 calories a day to produce an adequate milk supply because that is what we burn breastfeeding daily. I would take whatever mfp says and add 300 calories to it.
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I don't know the answer to this, but my guess is that you could try reducing your calories a little but keep your focus on burning calories through exercise. If you notice a drop in your milk supply then you should probably up your calories again. If there is a La Leche League in your area you could contact one of the leaders and ask. Also, kellymom.com is an excellent resource (with credible info) for breastfeeding mothers. Best wishes : )
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great that helps me alot thank you all :)
  • GJSaguaro
    GJSaguaro Posts: 19
    Options
    There is a "Breastfeeding" entry on MFP that adds back the calories you lose.
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just seen that thank you