venison

Options
chantel14
chantel14 Posts: 128
Hey! So I have a ton of venison in my freezer that I need to cook, does anyone have any good recipes?

Replies

• jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Put it in the crock pot with some onion and garlic, and pepper, low sodium mushroom soup and serve over whole wheat noodles:)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I make chili out of it. Anything tomato based will work, spaghetti, chili, taco's etc.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Roasts, steaks???? I put a roast in the crock pot with veggies like peas, carrots, potatoes and some water or beef broth. Also I cut into the roast and then put garlic into the incisions. Steaks - I just grill and then use some seasoning or you can cut it up and put into tacos, wraps. Ground venison can be used in anything just remember that it is leaner than beef and will dry out faster.
  • sek92
    sek92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    if you try to make patties out of them add some beef to it, anythign you use beef u can use the venison
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We love deer meat! I use it in all my chili, tacos, and the loins are wonderful cooked real slow on the stove. I put garlic and butter and some teryaki sauce.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey! So I have a ton of venison in my freezer that I need to cook, does anyone have any good recipes?

let it sit in the fridge for a few hours in some milk, and than a marinade after you've taken it out of the milk with some salt, pepper and whatever red wine you enjoy. than just cut into steaks and grill for salads and over noodles, grind and make into yummy burger patties or even breakfast sausage with some veggies mixed in, or just slow roast the whole thing after you sear the outside quickly in a hot pan :-D so jealous you have it in your fridge, it's the meat of my childhood (hunting dad and family memebers) and now we've moved up northeast and i barely get a chance to have it haha enjoy!!
  • Leahcutie
    Leahcutie Posts: 24
    Options
    Yes! This is my first day on this site and I just saw your post. We also eat venison. Here is a delicious and easy recipe. It is the only way I can get my husband to eat venison:

Place venison roast in crockpot. Pour one envelope of Lipton Onion soup over the roast, then a bottle of chili sauce. Then pur a can of coke (or rootbeer) over the roast. Cook on low for about 4 hours and enjoy!
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like to make a venison tips with mushrooms and wine sauce over rice (or noodles).
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Where are you?

South Texas here....venison is ALWAYS in my freezer. My husband makes it into sausage and I have this great soup recipe. Search in the database for
    Homemade Tortellini/Vennison Sausage Soup
  • LadyRugerSnow
    Options
    Break out the BBQ grill or a grill skillet for the stove...... Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Pepper, and a tablespoon heinz 57.....

Its fabulous! Grill some veggies along with it......
  • LadyRugerSnow
    Options
    Break out the BBQ grill or a grill skillet for the stove...... Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Pepper, and a tablespoon heinz 57.....

Its fabulous! Grill some veggies along with it......
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm from abilene, TX but my family has a ranch in the hill country that we do a lot of our hunting at. I love hunting so between my husband and me we usually have about four deer in the freezer to last us through the year. We make a lot of it into a dried summer sausage and the rest we put into steaks and ground meat. Most of the time I just substitute venison for beef recipes (I haven't had to buy beef in ages!) But I was hoping to come across some different and unique recipes :)

Where are you?

South Texas here....venison is ALWAYS in my freezer. My husband makes it into sausage and I have this great soup recipe. Search in the database for
    Homemade Tortellini/Vennison Sausage Soup
  • HarposSwthg
    Options
    Live in Roswell,NM Always have some type of game meat in the freezer. I just love a Green Chili Cheese Venison burger I use a type of Goat Cheese Asadero

Like the others have said if you can use Beef you can use venison.
  • diegelman
    diegelman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    crock pot with onions, water, beef bullion cubes and rub meat with a couple packet of dry onion soup!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    All of these sound like great ideas! I like to make a roast. This is probably not the healthiest of ways, but here is mine:

1. Brine venison in water mixed with equal parts salt & sugar along with some pickling spice for at least 24 hours.
    2. Remove and pat dry.
    3. Rub on a dry rub mixture of garlic powder,onion powder,cumin,adobo seasoning & crushed red chili flakes
    4. Let meat sit for about twenty minutes @ room temperature and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    5. While meat is resting, cut up onions,carrots,celeray, & potatoes.
    6. In the bottom of a roasting pan, pour 1 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1 cup of red wine.
    7. Place meat in the liquid and surround with the vegetables.
    8. Cover with plastic wrap and foil to hold in moisture and place in oven.
    9. Remove pan and coverings about 30-45 minutes before it's done & add mushrooms then if you like.
    10.Place back in oven to finish off. (Leave uncovered at this point to brown the meat)
    11. Remove and let sit at least 10 minutes before cutting to keep in moisture.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump! We have 100+ lbs in our freezer!
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I NEVER buy hamburger meat as we have so much venison!! It is so lean! I make a mean meatloaf with it or even homemade meatballs and freeze them. You can also make jerky with it if you have a dehydrator. You can get real crafty....anything with the right seasoning!!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Send it to me...I will have no problem getting rid of it for you! ;-)
  • Nibarlan
    Nibarlan Posts: 8
    Options
    It really depends on what you have. Cube steak? Tenderloin? Ground sausage? ....dear god I'm getting hungry now...