HELP WITH HEALTHY SNACKS

Options
Since I've been putting in non-stop 13 hour days lately, I need some tips for healthy on-the-go things to eat. I HAVE to stop eating out so much. Please help me with quick, healthy, on-the-go snacks and meals :)

Replies

• Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Since I've been putting in non-stop 13 hour days lately, I need some tips for healthy on-the-go things to eat. I HAVE to stop eating out so much. Please help me with quick, healthy, on-the-go snacks and meals :)

I like to munch on raw baby carrots. Pistachios are a great snack that take a long time to eat. Cheese sticks with a slice of turkey wrapped around it, hummus on a whole wheat tortilla or pita, apple slices & peanut butter...
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch bag ( i got a decent size one) ... and I pack little ocntainers of snacks

Brocolli & Califlower
    T Marzetti Dip

Nuts
    Cucumbers
    Cherry Tomatos

Carrots
    bacon

it works well for me cuz I can just take the container out and set it on my desk
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    broccoli and hummus, string cheese. i have a ton that i can't think of right now. i work the same kind of schedule, and my diary is open to my friends. i'll send you a friend's request =).
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    one of my faves is a plain rice cake with a smear of peanut butter (the lowest sugar you can find) and a dollop of polaner's all fruit with fiber. kinda like a cheat pb and j plus crunch.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I either grab a couple 90 calorie granola bars (filling enough to hold of hunger for a bit) or have some snacks portioned out into baggies of their serving size, that way I dont have to guess as to how much I have eaten of them and I can just grab a bag or two and put them in my purse.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Maybe this isn't what you are looking for, but on days when I just cannot plan ahead I go into the grocery and buy my lunch. I usually come out with something like this:

soup
    tuna (sometimes the premixed packs with crackers etc.)
    veggie tray
    veggie and hummus snack pack (they have these at Meijer near me, they are expensive, but good)
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
    raisins
    rice cakes
    nuts (almonds etc.)

Other than that, I usually do pack my lunch and it's some combination of most of the same things:
    PB sandwhich on healthy life bread
    PB and celery
    soup
    salad
    raw fruit
    yogurt with raw fruit
    cottage cheese
    1/2 tortilla and some cheese
    boiled eggs
    nuts (almonds, peanuts etc.)
    I used to make veggie sandwiches but they get soggy on me.
    raw veggies and hummus
    bagel thins

HTH
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    make your own trail mix:

raw unsalted slivered almonds, dried blueberries & cranberries. buy big bags of each & mix together, then bag into daily serving size.

delish:tongue:
  • klewisusmc
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorites:

1 medium sliced cucumber w/ 100 calorie "wholly Guacamole" pack.

Almonds.

Yoplait light 'n' fit yogurt w/ granola

Hard boiled egg whites

2% cottage cheese w/cherry tomatoes

Cheese stick

Celery w/peanut butter

Fresh fruit cut into pieces
  • philssis
    philssis Posts: 28
    Options
    Kind of expensive, and if you like sweet you're out of luck, but Siggi's Icelandic Skyr (thick yogurt) is awesome! It doesn't have any added sugar, light taste, orange and ginger is my favorite, and it will keep you full for a few hours. At Fresh Market, Whole Foods, nicer supermarkets. I like to mix fresh blueberries in the blueberry flavor. Adds some sweet and you get fruit with your calcium and protein.

Another fun snack is Annie's organic bunnies, white cheddar is the best! Or goldfish. Neither have presevatives or other weird junk - all natural! Kashi granola bars are also a good on-the-go snack. Or they have Kashi cookies that are delicious and have whole grains so you get a treat and it's kind of good for you.

Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    String cheese
    Think Thin bites
    Berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
    Baby carrots
    Celery sticks
    Grapes
    Apple
    Peach
    baby cucumbers + dip
    hard boiled egg
    almonds
    pretzels
    raisins
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Vitatops keep me satified for a really long time and they are only 100 calories. I love... love... love the chocolate kind.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the special K meal and snack barks. they really do help with the hunger. they don't taste like other protein bars. The snack bar, especially, tastes like a candy bar! I love light popcorn and baby carrots, too. OH, and pick lady apples yummmmmy slice it up and sprinkle with fruit fresh and they won't turn brown!
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I love the recipies from Real Simple (the magazine). They are really tasty, pretty healthy and they ususally only take 20 to 30 minutes to make. I have a crazy schedule like yours plus a 3 hour commute round trip. To deal with the time constraints during the week, I take 2 or 3 hours on Sunday and cook everything that I plan to eat during the week. As a result, I had broiled shrimp with zuchini and yellow squash as a mid afternoon snack today! I also rely heavily on fruits and raw veggies.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    and sergento light string cheese. only 50 calories
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    I love fat free greek yogurt!