Carb/Protein/Fat Ratio

Options
DBritt1
DBritt1 Posts: 15 Member
I have been tracking calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium and sugars. Overall I have been able to balance everything out, with the exception of carbs. I have been targeting a carb/protein/fat ratio of 45%/35%/20%. This correlates to about 200g of carbs, 160g of protein and 42g of fat. On average I am hitting between 140-150g of carbs. In an effort to increase my complex carbs does anyone have any suggestions? I am planning to continue eating oatmeal and start adding brown whole grain rice, but still need some more ideas to rotate in to my routine.

Replies

• dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    try quinoa and buckwheat grains as an excellent source of complex carbs. Both have much much better nutritional value than rice.

Whole wheat pasta products are better than white or brown rice for that matter.
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    Quinoa is awesome. I make mine like oatmeal and add apples, strawberries and bananas, and blueberries...A little bit of truvia and you have breakfast! The crunchiness of it is addictive to me. Plus it's a complete protein.
  • synthetikk
    synthetikk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You should really try to stick to 100g or less of carbs a day. complex carbs preferably.
    Carbs are converted to blood sugar. too much blood sugar can lead to insulin resistance, which tells the fat cells to keep storing fat. Increase your protein, because if you don't, not only will you be losing fat when you cut calories, but you will be losing muscle. to save the muscle, increase the protein. Fats are pretty much polar opposites of carbs. Fats are not what cause you to get fat or have heart attacks. Animal fats at least. Stick with saturated fats and NEVER consume trans fats.
    Read up on the glycemic index, all foods with carbs have a number on the glycemic index. Food with higher numbers are the worst for you. Whole grains are actually very high, so you should stay away from that. Instead, eat oats, they will still provide you with complex carbs but are lower on the glycemic index.
    Watch the documentary "Fat Head", they explain things very well.