Calories Per Day

Options
Hi All!
So I have been with MFP for almost a month (I seem to see some results) and I have a question. It said my daily calories should be 1900 (I am 5'9" and started at 190lbs. I also listed my daily job as "active") Since being on here I am noticing that many more people are on the 1200 calorie diet...even friends of mine who have my SAME job! Should I alter my basic info? I would hate to think that I am "dieting" with 1900 calories if it really isn't the case! MFP said that my daily calories burned based on listing my job as "active" was 2400...what if that is not the case? Suggestions or thoughts to my quandary??

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What is your job?

A lot of people undereat on here, so you might be just where you need to be.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1200 is the LOWEST MFP will allow, I don't recommend it unless you are VERY tiny and sedentary.

What kind of job do you have? Making sure this setting is correct is important. But there's no reason for you to be at 1200.
  • philssis
    philssis Posts: 28
    Options
    If you're seeing results - you're doing something right! Cut back a bit if your losing starts to taper off.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I see from your profile that you're a teacher of kids with autism. I would probably have selected Lightly Active myself. I found the following definitions for activity level on a different website. These make more sense to me than how MFP describes them.

============================================================================================
    SEDENTARY: a lifestyle that includes only the physical activity of independent living;

LOW ACTIVE: a lifestyle that includes physical activity equivalent to walking 1.5 to 3 miles per day at 3 to 4 miles per hour, in addition to the activities of independent living;

ACTIVE: a lifestyle that includes physical activity equivalent to walking more than 3 to 10 miles per day at 3 to 4 miles per hour, in addition to the activities of independent living;

VERY ACTIVE: a lifestyle that includes physical activity equivalent to walking more than 10 miles per day at 3 to 4 miles per hour, in addition to the activities of independent living.
    =============================================================================================

As others have said, if you're seeing results you're definitely doing something right.
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    go by the calories MFP gives you and not what others have listed...you can lower it yourself and that is why you see such low numbers.
    1200 is thought to be a bare minimum so people choose 1200 so they can achieve maximum loss...then they find they are starving and leave MFP because it isnt working.
    when you were given a intake of 1900 calories this was done so that you would have a 500 calorie deficit each day so that after 7 days you would burn off a pound (3500 calories to make a pound).
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    You've lost 5 pounds! Why would you lower your calories when 1900 is working for you? Don't be silly. :) Just because 1200 is a popular number for other MFP users doesn't mean it's right or necessary for everybody.
  • wide_rider
    Options
    If you are already noticing results, then you are probably pretty close to where you need to be. Forgive me here, but you look young (based on your avatar) and your body needs more calories to stay healthy, especially if you have an 'active' job. Eating too little, either per meal or as a daily total, is unhealthy and will only work against you in the long run. If you still feel that 1900 calories is too high, you can reset your daily goal in the settings area, but I wouldn't recommend going below 1700-1750 a day.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    THANKS Everybody for such great feedback!!