Too much protein in my diet?

Options
I am new to MFP - on day 11 and what I'm noticing is that I have A LOT of protein in my diet. Anybody have any insight on how this would affect my success in weight loss - or any negative affects to my health?

I'm also looking for friends! I only have a few at this point and could definitely use some positive influences!

Thank you all!

Replies

• synthetikk
    synthetikk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can never have too much protein, especially if you are exercising as well.
    when you cut calories, your body will eat your muscle, as well as your fat
    increased protein will prevent you from losing muscles.

High protein and low carbs, you will be good to go. I wish you luck dear <3
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Well.. I wouldn't make it 50% of your intake or anything... but you have a pretty big bumper when it comes to protein. All depends on your goals and what you're doing, but going over some isn't going to hurt you.. MFP has their setting pretty low.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein.
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That jenn kid is smart :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How much is a lot of protein? Ideally, with a "normal" diet you'd want to be eating so that around 30-40% or so of your calories were coming from protein. While protein is a good thing, if that were all you were eating, it'd actually be bad for you. The human liver can't safely process more than 200-300 grams of protein in a day, but I doubt you're getting that much.

As long as what you're getting is mostly lean proteins, not fatty or processed meats, you should be just fine. Feel free to friend me if you like. :)
  • michz
    michz Posts: 102
    Options
    Thank you all! Just want to make sure I'm creating healthy habits and not something I need to undo in the future!
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Too much protien can be harmful....builds up toxins...but without seeing what and how much your eating it is hard to say. I try to keep a healthy balance....life is a balancing act isn't it...giggle
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would think too much protein would be harmful to your kidneys....at least it is in dogs (I'm a vet assistant what do you expect?)
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    MFP's settings are standard according to the American Food Pyramid, but for most people and anyone who either has a family history of diabetes, or who exercises, there should be more protein in their diet and less carbs. As long as you keep well hydrated and eat some complex carbs, your kidneys should not get affected (provided you are healthy to begin with).
    Feel free to add me to your friends list and good luck with your goals.