South Beach Diet

Options
I have recently been looking into the South Beach Diet. Has anyone tried this diet? and if so, how did you feel about the process and the results?

Replies

• xlizardx11x
    Options
    i have tried it and know people that have used it and it does work, the only reason i stopped (which was after a week) was because i was in highschool and it was hard to schedule eatting like that..and i went camping and it all caved so i havnt tried it since, but that first week i lost lil over 5 pounds, you just haev to really follow what they are suggesting to you, and if you dont like one of the meals planned for that day you can always use another one they suggest
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I read the book a few years ago and REALLY liked the concept... I got that it wasn't a "diet" it was a life style change. Which is what we need! I started the diet for and lasted a few weeks... I had a hard time because I'm a "carboholic". Now... I eat good carbs, which is what the SBD is based on.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I did SB for a while last year and lost 25 lbs, but gained it all back and then some. I personally think it's just another fad diet. There's no magical diet out there...you didn't gain the weight all at once, and you're certainly not going to lose it all at once...you just have to get a good balance of proper nutrition and exercise and make a lifestyle change, not just adhere to some quack's diet plan.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    One good thing about it, though, is that it was developed by a cardiologist who actually tested it on himself and some of his patients before writing the book. Of all the fad diet's out there...if I were to pick one to stick with...SB would probably be the one I would choose.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am currently using the South Beach Diet. Phase One can be difficult to return to if you need to (and I probably should), but I mostly just adhere to the basic rules behind the diet. My SO (practically scrawny) has lost the same 10lbs I have since the beginning of the year with this new eating pattern, so we are trying to figure out ways for him to eat like this without losing any more. While I glare at him.
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    I did it.
    I guess it's good, but it's not for everyone.
    I lost a ton of weight on it but I don't know how much- I didn't weigh myself back then. and I wasn't exercising either. But I lost a lot of weight and actually liked my body for maybe the first time in my life.
    but then i gained the weight back- and some more. This lady that I knew that was on it gained back a few pounds only after getting off it but maintained the weight otherwise, so it's different for everybody.
    I guess the thing about it for me was the avoidance of carbs. I love carbs and I love fruit so much it really felt like deprivation every day and even though I finished the program and lost the weight I started eating unhealthy again and gained all the weight plus more after. I need something that will change my mindset and relationship with food, a total lifestyle and habits change and so far counting my calories and exercise (MFP) and trying to deal with my binge eating problems (books, support groups) is the only thing that can provide that. Good luck whatever you choose!!:)
  • genielross
    genielross Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been on SBD for about 3 months. Phase 1 was hard, no carbs at all. Now that I am in Phase 2 it is really just about learning to eat correctly. No I cant have some of the foods I had before but I have found new ones. It really is a lifestyle change, I think I could eat this way for ever. I am never hungry and for the most part get to eat what I want to. I sometimes slip but that is life.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    SB isn't really a diet. It's just the way we all should be eating. Whole grains, low fat dairy and meat, and lots of veggies! The only "diet" part about it is the first 2 weeks where you have to cut out all sugar, booze and zero grains. It's all meat and veggies to get your body detoxed from processed foods. It works because you are pretty much eating lower calorie foods. I'm sure if someone logged while on SB, they would find they are right in their target calorie goal to lose weight. He promotes too much phony sugar though, which I don't like.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I am following the South Beach Phase 2 guidelines and MFP. The weight is coming off slowly, but surely. To me, South Beach (phases 2 and 3) are a lifestyle. Phase 1 is restrictive and meant only as a kickstart -- not meant to be long term as it is too restrictive.

I found my weakness to be carbs -- sugar, white flour, and oh-- did I mention sugar? The one thing that I found with Phase 1 is that it helped me curb this sugar habit. If you're having having an issue with sugar, South Beach phase 1 can help. In fact, I passed by the Easter candy at Target this afternoon, and totally by-passed it. (but it was a good thing I didn't go yesterday)

I haven't found that the "diet" is too restrictive, and have found myself enjoying more "real" food. I am also breathing better (less allergies, perhaps) and have much fewer headaches.

I have receive alot of criticism going on this "fad" diet, but it's working for me. Many of the concepts that South Beach has to offer, are here in this site: eat lean meats and fish, vegetables, good fats, some fruits, and whole grains. It makes alot of sense to me. Yes, Phase 1 is restrictive, but it is only meant for the first two weeks. I am also recording my calories in MFP, and am typically slightly under my calorie goal. I am typically way under on carbs, and over on fat and sugar (fruit!), but I am working on those as well.

I'm not saying that I don't have my "splurges" -- an occasional piece of white bread or scoop of ice cream. But I have found that I have made better choices with portion control and can get right back on track.

Feel free to friend me!
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i did it years ago and had some success with it.
  • fursure
    fursure Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did the SB diet and learned that I can stay more full when I eat the right foods. (Higher fiber and include protein in every meal.) I'm not following it now - but I know that what I learned by following that plan, in combination with calorie counting on this plan is helping lose weight faster now than I did on SB. I'm also feeling less deprived now than I did on SB. Because I don't feel guilty if I do eat a sweet treat now and then as long as I count the calories. So, I'm glad I did SB before I started on MFP.