Workouts for those that can't handle Insanity or P90X

Options
Robyn_T
Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
It seems like a lot of people like the P90x and Insanity programs, but those are just not an option for me. I'm too out of shape for those, plus I have a messed up vertebrae and asthma. The intensity of those programs would be too much.

I get bored very easily with walking and I live just off a highway. I don't trust the cars speeding past enough to walk on the road. "Splat" is not a state of being I that desire to achieve.

Does anyone have suggestions for workouts? Is there a video or a website that you recommend?

I'll probably start out with some yoga and dance-style workouts for now, but I'll take suggestions on any style (fitness genre? :wink: ). I may change my mind if something else catches my interest or comes highly recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• growingpains
    Options
    Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie sanson
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have always used Leslie Sansones walk away the pounds.....it is low impact and I lost just over 80 pounds with her years ago after my first two children were born....I had asthma trouble and my knees were so bad with all the weight on in the begining. I am using them again and still love them! Good luck!!!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Zumba!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    But if you go splat, just think of how thin you'll be :laugh:

Go peruse Walmart in the fitness area, they have a bunch of different DVDs.
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    family video stores let you "rent" fitness dvds for free. If this is an option for you, just start checking out a few of them a week until you find one you like, then buy them on amazon or ebay :)
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you have OnDemand, they offer lots of different options, from very low, to super intense workouts.. And there is such a huge variety of "instructors", you'll never get bored!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people who are really into the line of DVDs by Jillian Michaels. There's also The Biggest Loser workout. You should be able to find all these at your nearest walmart for a good price.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Yeah, P90X and Insanity aren't for everyone. I'd recommend the elliptical [while listening to up-tempo music], if it's not on the boring side for you... I never get bored with my HIIT elliptical routine. It's relatively short but extremely intense.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Power 90 is the precursor to P90X....and I'd also suggest the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. It's a good workout, but is 20 minutes long and only as strenuous as you make it. Also, try yoga...I know quite a few people who have successfully kicked off their journey to health with yoga...

If you're a member of Netflix, there are TONS of exercise videos on there for you to try on demand or by mail...and your library should have quite a few as well!

Good luck girlie!! I hope you find something that works for you!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Start walking and build it up as you're able!
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    www.liveexercise.com & www.fitstudio.com have a lot workouts and they're FREE! =)
  • newfitlosophy
    Options
    Where's the "Like" button when you need it!! These sites look great. Thanks for posting.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you like dancing type workouts then I highly recommend Turbo Jam! Chalene Johnson is amazing!

Sharon
  • tssa
    tssa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    www.liveexercise.com & www.fitstudio.com have a lot workouts and they're FREE! =)

OMG! These sites are awesome. I really like liveexercise.com. Signing up right now.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You could also do the free trial of netflix for a month and try different dvd's that way
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Slim in 6 is a great intro program with minimal stress on the body parts. Yoga booty belly another highly recommended one. Feel free to friend me everyone. Hugs and Health, Colleen (Seattle)
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I recommend swimming. It is incredibly low impact. It gives you a great burn and it is only as taxing as you choose to make it. Most cities have public pools that have lap swimming available every day. You pay about 2 dollars and can stay as long or as short of a time as you like. I swim 2 hours every day and burn about 1400 calories. I have issues with my breathing because of smoking so I find breaststroke to be the best for me because I have a breath every time I take a stroke or you could just get a kick board and kick away.
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! These ideas are very helpful and give me a place to start researching what would be best.
  • tsimehc2000
    tsimehc2000 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Power 90 is the precursor to P90X....and I'd also suggest the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. It's a good workout, but is 20 minutes long and only as strenuous as you make it. Also, try yoga...I know quite a few people who have successfully kicked off their journey to health with yoga...

If you're a member of Netflix, there are TONS of exercise videos on there for you to try on demand or by mail...and your library should have quite a few as well!

Good luck girlie!! I hope you find something that works for you!

I can also add that Power 90 is a good program to use. My wife and I both wanted to try P90X, but early on we determined that physically we were not able to do that. The videos can be rather vanilla in presentation, but then again, I'm not working out to be entertained. :)

My wife and I lost about 30 lbs each on Power 90. She graduated to P90X and has almost completed it. I started P90X, but quickly figured out that I don't have the muscle development in my arms, so I moved to Insanity and prefer that better as I enjoy cardio workouts.

The DVD set is rather inexpensive, about $60 from Beachbody.com if I remember. It also comes with a fat burning workout DVD, which I also preferred over the standard cardio in Power 90. I eventually did that DVD workout twice in a row because I enjoyed it so much. If you could find the Tony Horton's Fat Burning Workout on Ebay, that might be a really good introduction to the P90X world.
  • AmberRose0319
    Options
    I just started the Biggest Loser last chance workout. It's a workout but afterwards I feel great.&&.it's not expensive at all. I'm pretty sure I paid $9 for it at walmart. It will kick your but the first day or two with it, but I'm starting to enjoy it!