too much protein?

Options
Is it bad that I'm in the negative range for protein? I'm like -30 right now for protein today. Is that bad??

Replies

• meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I talked with my brother and he said that it is always good to have lots of protein. He is however a super skinny dude who constantly works out and lifts! I feel that as long as you don't go over in carbs and fats you are good!!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Nope! MFP is kind of low according to some people on protein. There aren't any ill effects of getting too much as long as you are in your calorie range.

Unless you have kidney or liver disease and are going WAY over, protein won't hurt you.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    here's an interesting link on nutrition i would like to share with ya'all:wink:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You're safe. MFP has their setting pretty low..
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    don't worry about it. I go over my protein every single day and I dont even eat meat lol. its set too low here, plus you WANT to eat it cus its so good for you it will help you build muscle if you work out. also it keeps you fuller for longer.
    going over by 30 g is not a big deal you should be worried only if you go over by like 200+. :smile:
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    This thing is automatically set for a low amount of protein. You can change it in your settings for a more sensible amount, which seems to be 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. then I can assure you you will have to look for more protein to eat :)
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you are trying to build more muscle and doing weight training then you need more protein. But MFP does set the goal pretty low either way
  • mommyx22009
    Options
    Actually setting your protein levels higher will accelerate your weight loss. My brother is a dietician and he is helping me with my goals. He tells me what to do and I enter it into MFP so I can track it. As of right now, my calories are set with an 800 calorie deficit with levels set at: protein (45%), carbs (35%), and fat (20%). More protein means more energy which allows your body to burn off more carbs (which it attacks first), therefore having excess energy to burn the small amount of fat you intake. :)