Monthly Craving Time

Options
I have been on MFP for almost a week and doing good. However, I am real close to hitting a wall, so I'm looking for help...it is that dang monthly craving time that happens to us women. I am craving cheese & fried food something fierce.

So how do you handle this time of month & not gain every pound +5 back? I'm looking for some serious guidance.

Thank you all in advance!!

Replies

• olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fool-proof way, but I always give in a little to my cravings (makes that time sooo much easier to deal with). I try to find alternatives that are equally as good as what I'm craving (buy a small bag of chips instead of a big one, jello pudding cups instead of candy bars, skinny cow ice cream instead of ben & jerry's). Also, write down what you want to splurge on in your journal ahead of time (or what you know you'll end up doing), then budget the rest of your calories accordingly).
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Usually I crave chocolate...I allow myself maybe 2 mini snickers, instead of the regular choclate bar. There will be more good days than bad days!
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I think completely denying your cravings may work against you. If you hold out until the craving gets too bad, you may end up binging on it later. Allowing yourself a little bit of what you want would be better than breaking down in a big way later.

If it were me, I'd have a little bit of cheese in or with something that is more nutritious. Maybe a half grilled cheese with tomato on whole wheat bread.

I do completely understand where you're coming from. Yesterday, I wanted to eat all day long. Every time I thought of food, I wanted it NOW.
  • IslanderLily
    IslanderLily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It really is a hard time of month and I totally understand what you are going through! I've found that as my choices in food become healthier, the less cravings I have! But sometimes no matter what you do, you just can't help yourself, you just have to have it...so that's okay but...you have to exercise for it! Thats the deal I make with myself! No matter how tired I am, if it's going in my mouth, I had better get myself making up those calories right away!! And during that time of month,I'm usually very tired and cramping and cranky so I think twice about eating the crap. More often than not, I don't deny myself and I go for it, but you better believe my hiney is up on that elliptical machine burning it before I even take a single bite..usually, I don't even want it afterwards or I eat a lot less than I usually would.
    Look into cutting sugar, processed food, and caffeine down and adding a lot more fruits and veggies, as your body gets more of the nutrients it craves, you'll find your cravings will lessen too!
  • goldiefysh
    goldiefysh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up curving my craving a bit by making a small cheese only quesadilla. It was a great breakfast and not many calories since I didn't do a complete 1/3 cup cheese.