It's no longer a diet when you make it a lifestyle!

Options
Hey everyone,

I was actually forced to join by a couple of friends so I could track my progress lol, and now I'm actually really glad they made me do it. I've been wanting to lose weight since I can remember, but I never had the right mind set. I was never successful at losing much because I always did it for the wrong reasons, but after actually sitting down and thinking about it long and hard, I've found out why I want to lose this weight.

Not only to improve my self, but to help out my younger brother. I want to lose weight to feel better about my self, to actually like the way I look, and to have a long and happy life, but most importantly to show my younger brother he can do it too. When we were younger, he was the little guy, always skinny, but once high school came around he started packing weight. Now he's gotten bigger than me, and this is my way of being a role model to him (at least I hope.)

It's only been a couple of weeks since I joined, but I'm really digging the calorie counter, the tracking of food and workouts, and the community. And I noticed I've been catching myself counting calories and stuff at random places and going wow, that's a lot more fattening than I though lol. I can truly say now, that this time things are going to change for good, because I no longer see what I'm doing as a diet, I'm seeing it as a change of lifestyle.

So this is my Intro I guess, thanks for stopping by, please feel free to add me as a friend to track my progress and what not. Let's help each other achieve our goals, because sometimes someone saying WTG or nice going, is just the little push we need to keep going! :bigsmile:

Replies

• kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    Hear, hear.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making this new commitment to yourself!
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on joining MFP! You can do this! Being a good role model is the icing on the cake. Maybe you can get your brother to join too. Cheers!
  • dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    eating healthy is all that much easier with the "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle" mindset!
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You are there Bro!! Just keep doing what you are doing for you and your brother! Feel free to add me. I am currently doing P90X!! Dude, I am hanging on kicking and screaming....lol. We all are making in by trial and error.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I cringe when people ask me what diet I'm on...I keep trying to explain that it was a choice and a lifestyle change for me...hopefully after I've been in the habit for a few more months they will understand that ;)

Great job on working to get healthy again and especially thinking about being a role model to your brother!

Ellen
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When you know better, you do better.

Awareness is key. So many of us go through life just doing things on autopilot.
    Congratulations on an important NSV (Non-Scale Victory) !
  • OhSnaps
    OhSnaps Posts: 25
    Options
    You are there Bro!! Just keep doing what you are doing for you and your brother! Feel free to add me. I am currently doing P90X!! Dude, I am hanging on kicking and screaming....lol. We all are making in by trial and error.

I just added the P90X cardio DVDs into my lifting program two weeks ago, man those are fun! Yoga is kicking my but though lol

Thanks to everyone who's read my post and added me so far. It's awesome to hear others have realized long ago, what I've just realized now.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I think you sound like a great inspiration and role model to your brother. MFP does work if you work it. Just keep thinking of it as a lifestyle change and can and will do it!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I see you already have the attitude to put yourself on the track to a better life! Good for you! Seems like you got most of your bases covered. If you need advice or motivation, don't be afraid to add people as friends including myself. Good luck!