Toes fall asleep while running?

Options
Has anyone had this happen to them? My toes start to have that feeling like their asleep - or constantly 'waking up' and tingling. This only happens to me while on the elliptical machine or on a treadmill. I've tried different shoes, tied different ways, so I'm fairly certain it's not that. I'd like to hear if anyone has had this happen to them and what they did about it.

Replies

• Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I'm definitely no help, but Ithought this was really funny :laugh:
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It always happens to me too! I don't know why but I just put up with it. Sometimes it's not as bad, so I don't know....hmmmm.. you're not alone.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I did not tie my shoes as tight and I have not had any further problems. If you haven't tried tying the laces looser, I would suggest this. I hope it helps!
  • faithgriggs
    Options
    yup,same thing happens to me.Guess I just figured it was from the extra weight making it harder to circulate blood.I'm no doc,anyone got an answer?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen to me.

I know the feeling of limbs falling asleep is due to lack of blood flow. My non-medical idea from it so far, is that our heart rate raises so much, and then with the added weight put on to our legs, we cut off some blood flow to the feet/toes.
    If it gets bad I usually just step off real quick and stretch it out.
  • soccerjewel47
    Options
    OMG!!! I told my husband that this happened to me, and he laughed at me!!! Now I have prove I'm not the only one out there!!!! But I love the eliptical machine!!
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! this happens to me too!! lol! I thought I was the only one! For me, it is only my right foot and it happens when im on the elliptical. i dont like to use it anymore cuz i hate how my foot gets. I had bought new shoes, i wasnt tying them as tightly, ive done it w/o shoes on. idk what to do!! i find it better with shoes off, but that isnt always comfortable, nor is it do-able at a gym. I havent always had this problem. I worked out after all of my kids and it wasnt until after having my last one that i noticed it. I cant help but wonder if it has anything to do with when my foot was super swollen during my pregnancy (just the 1 foot) and maybe now my right foot is bigger and squished in my shoe...lol....sounds stupid, but i think its related!!!! I have yet to try wide shoes because i cannot afford new shoes. and, like u said, its only the top part of my foot and toes. very strange!!! let me know if u find a cure for this!!!!!!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. I play Dance Dance Revolution barefoot and this happens to me too.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    This happens to me too! Only on the elliptical trainer (as opposed to walking) and only on my left foot and usually only after 15-20 minutes or more. Probably the huge callus on the bottom of my left foot is my complicating factor. I think I end up doing most of the "pushing" of the elliptical pedals with my toes and the tennis shoes must be bent on top and putting pressure on the top of my foot and causing my toes to "fall asleep." When I notice it happening, I shift my weight to my heels and and flatten my feet out and it seems to help tremendously.
  • TShields5224
    Options
    Yep, right there with you- and all my buddies who use the elliptical too say it happens to them. Just one of those things you have to put up with I guess!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Yes, and you don't have to live with it- if it's the same problem I had... I mentioned it to a chiropractor and he said the bottom of my feet were really tight and he thought a nerve was getting compressed. So he stretched them, then had me roll the bottom of my feet over a golf ball multiple times a day, especially the arch and ball of the foot. It slowly got better and I have not had the problem for months and months now.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    My legs feel itchy, like a static tingle when I´m on the treadmill. I have to bend to rub them every so often.
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes, and you don't have to live with it- if it's the same problem I had... I mentioned it to a chiropractor and he said the bottom of my feet were really tight and he thought a nerve was getting compressed. So he stretched them, then had me roll the bottom of my feet over a golf ball multiple times a day, especially the arch and ball of the foot. It slowly got better and I have not had the problem for months and months now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there. I will definitely try rolling my foot over a golf ball and let you all know if it works! Or you could all try it yourselves, lol. I will also try moving my feet to the back, as they do hit the front of the step while I'm on the elliptical.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options

That's awesome! Thanks for the heads up!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    wow I thought I was the ONLY ONE! I have loosened my shoes to the point that they almost fell off, got new shoes, got expensive inserts for my shoes... everything I could think of and NOTHING has helped! And it only happens when I'm on the elliptical or treadmill, and once on a stationary bike. Happens to both feet, but the right is the worst. But I can walk 3 miles around my neighborhood and it doesn't happen at all... SO WEIRD!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It happens to me every time I start running after a long layoff. Usually it's my whole left foot that goes to sleep. It goes away after a few weeks.
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, too. I researched it on the internet and found that it's usually a nerve problem. I find that if I move my feet around a little during my exercise it helps. If you're doing something repetitive it puts pressure on a nerve in the foot. That's the best explanation I've found and it makes sense.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i used to get it with my old trainers, but dont with my new ones
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    COMPRESSION SOCKS ( I recommend Oxy Sox brand) and make sure you are wearing proper shoes for your foot "type"

I went to one of those running stores to get fitted...they will tell you about your "pronation".......then looked at running shoes on eastbay.com which had descriptions for shoes ( Overpronate, underpronate, neutral, etc) and I picked out several that were on sale... then I went to a runner's website to get reviews on the models I chose.... and picked a shoe from there

oh yeah, and make sure to tie your shoes tight before running
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just talked to the trainer at the gym about this yesterday. I am having extreme tightness in my calves accompanied by numbness during running. He told me that both things were due to my staying too far up on my toes while exercising. I am going to try to shift my balance and see if this helps.