What time do you workout?

Options
I like getting up at 4:20am and hit the gym for 1 hour, return home, shower and get to work. I feel so energized for the day. Any other early riser?

Replies

• monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to be, though 6:30am is about as early as I rise without being a crabby witch. Who knows, maybe working out in the morning will make me less cranky about being awake!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can motivate myself to do it... I would love to exercise in the morning before work, but I just can't get myself to wake up early to do it. Ideally I'll workout when I get home from work around 5 pm before I eat dinner. However, sometimes that doesn't happen. Tonight I finally got myself moving at around 9:30 pm. Definitely not ideal, but I'll take what I can get.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    YUCK! LOL, I've tried to get up really early to workout and just can't convince myself it is better than staying in bed for another hour, and I'm always tired after a morning workout. I typically will go for a run in the evening. If there are too many evening commitments I'll go late morning or afternoon if my schedule will allow. A few weeks ago I agreed to get up at 5:15 to go for a run on Saturdays- it is totally nasty, but I am enjoying the sunrises, maybe.
  • MidnightRadio
    MidnightRadio Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's midnight right now and I JUST got back from the gym!
    I have terrible chronic insomnia, so it's very difficult for me to get up in the morning after not getting much sleep. I tried working out as soon as I got home from work (about 7pm), but my husband (who works out in the morning) wasn't liking how late that was pushing dinner.
    So now I go AFTER dinner. It's not ideal, and on days like today when I worked late I didn't actually make it to the gym until after 11pm!
    On the bright side, I'm stoked that I motivated myself enough to go at all, especially since it's TOM, which is when I usually lose all motivation.

I'm going to try to go really late every night this week as an experiment to see if being physically tired late at night will help my insomnia. Fingers crossed!
  • MsEmily1974
    MsEmily1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am an early riser as well! I get up at 5 and commute 45 mins to the gym. After an hour workout, I get ready at the gym and then walk across the street to my office. It's so easy to stay in bed - especially when the family (dog included) are snoozing away at that hour. I definitely feel energized after an AM workout, but I also feel pretty darn good with extra sleep. lol
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i tend to exercise throughout the day. it's easier for me to do little bits here and there. 5 minutes of this, 10 minutes of that rather than taking a full hour or more out at once.
  • treadingpurple
    Options
    I am definetly not up that early, but I try to do yoga in the morning. Other exercises like walking, I do in the afternoon.
  • kartunes
    kartunes Posts: 46
    Options
    Between 5-7pm. Before dinner time.
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I work out when the 2 year old is taking his nap. I work out at least for 30 minutes on EA Sport Fit 2 from 12:30 to 1ish. I also try to get in a good walk.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like it. Days off it's usually around 9-11:30pm
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4 am and get ready to be at the gym when it opens. I'm a morning person, and I'm way too tired after work.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I like to workout after I get up. I get up at 3am to workout on a day shift, noon when I am working night shift, and around 9, or 10 am on days off.
  • SGartz
    SGartz Posts: 57
    Options
    I workout on a morning - gym opens at 6.30am and I'm right there. I also go whenever I feel like it on a Saturday or a day off.

You only have to get up early twice in five days really, it's not that hard if you are motivated!
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Anytime of the day sometimes 4PM or like yesterday I ran a 12K at 2AM.
  • WeatherGurl1129
    WeatherGurl1129 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I workout in the afternoons but most of the time it's for reasons beyond my control. :noway:

I take a spinning class twice a week, and it is scheduled at 4 PM. So I have to actually get up early and get to work so I can leave for the class. I'm also on my company's softball team, and we practice in the afternoons after work. The other days I guess I could get up and workout in the morning, but if I don't get on the road to work before 7 AM, the commute becomes horrible! I would actually prefer to workout in the mornings because it energizes me and wakes me up, but if I waited to leave for work my commute would be 45 min. to an hour! So those other non-scheduled days I do something by myself like a workout DVD or jog around the neighborhood . . . after I get home from work. :wink:
  • missbrandyp
    missbrandyp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I run or walk on off days during my lunch break at work. Then I workout after work as well. I keep trying to workout in the morning but I just haven't been able to drag myself out of bed for it yet!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm a 3:30-5:30 pm workout person.

I tried a couple morning sessions, and I ended up lifting less, and got sick one time. If its just a run in the morning I'm fine but I can't lift that early.

Your body is warmer in the afternoons, and it's a safer and better time to lift from what I've read. But whatever works for the individual person is fine.