will power

Options
i have absolutely no will power its really sad actually. And im a bored eater or i absent mindedly put food in my mouth. like halloween candy if i walk past the left over candy bowl i take a piece. someone please help give me some tips as to how i can stop.

Replies

• redrider
    Options
    i have absolutely no will power its really sad actually. And im a bored eater or i absent mindedly put food in my mouth. like halloween candy if i walk past the left over candy bowl i take a piece. someone please help give me some tips as to how i can stop.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I had this problem a few months ago.
    I spent 2 hours decluttering my cupbaords and got rid of ALL fatty foods and sweets, which helped me enourmously

I then bought and still buy plenty of fresh/tinned/froxen fruit and veg. I pile veg on my evening meal - to stop me feeling hungry, I have 3 good healthy meals a day, and have 2-3 snacks a day, each snack being either fruit, or a couple of crisp breads with low fat cheese or pate.

As for the boredom eating, ask yourself if you're really hungry, is it from your stomach or head?
    If its really your stomach, then eat something healthy, if its your mind, do something, walk, sort out a cupboard, call a friend or family member, read a book, do a crossword - basically anything to take your mind off eating.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was a boredom eater also. I love cross stitching so I keep a little one on the counter so I can pick it up and work on it when I am bored like that. It helps me so-o-o-o much!!
    Options
    I agree with cyberwitch, you need to teach yourself new habits. It is hard because your brain has taught you that when you are bored you should eat. Did you know that it only takes 1 day to learn a bad habit but it takes 2 weeks to learn a new habit.
    Have you tried drinking a glass of water if you think you are hungry or bored. If you are truly hungry the water won't satisfy your hunger. Buy fruit and have it handy. Also if you log your foods (especially if you know what you will eat ahead of time) it will help you in identifing what foods are good for you and which ones you should only have on occasion or to even avoid altogether. I eat 6 times a day and this way I keep my energy and metabalism up and that has helped me a great deal. Sometimes when I get bored I will do leg lifts while sitting in my recliner while watching T.V and that helps me to get my mind off of being bored and wanting to eat. There are no easy answeres to loosing weight and everyone is different in handling there bordem, over eatting, or even there sweat or salty cravings you just need to find out what will work for you. You have just begun your first step in many steps on your journey and it will be a interesting journey that you are willing to take. Just take one hour at a time and one day at a time and it will get eaiser as time goes on.:smile:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there !!

that is a biggy for me too. im fine as long as im in my house, there is nothing bad for me to eat, worst case scenario ill pile on the low fat yogurt . lol.
    but when im out the house,, hell breaks loose and there is nothing holding me back,,

i have been having a different mind set this time around, i am thinking of this as a job, if i was working i would do my best no matter what, so i go to the gym as if it was work (cant have everyday a sick day .lol) and i eat with the same thing in mind, my pay is the scale going down, and im my own boss, but if i dont work, i dont get paid,

anywyas . i though that would maybe help !
    i know its not easy.. loosing weight is not for the weak !!

may
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of this being a job, we have to work the rest of our lives to earn money so why shouldn't we have to work the rest of our lives to be healthy. It's like following up on files, you don't necessarily like it, but you have to do it, so you just do it, and always feel much better once that task is out of the way.
  • may_marie
    Options
    It's like following up on files, you don't necessarily like it, but you have to do it, so you just do it, and always feel much better once that task is out of the way.

exactly !!.. before i started this,, i knew at the back of my head that i needed to loose weight, or at the very less stop gaining weight, but i kept putting it off, but that was torture !. now instead of torturing myself with the arrghhh . i soooo need to loose weight, hoo here goes an other cake. i made up my mind and soon ill be done with it ... job done !!!! then i can relax and enjoy life.
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me..Is that I chew sugarless gum when I'm hungry..Also I look around the house n see what I can do or move around...Plus I've been planning a benefit breakfast and that has kept me busy and my mind on other things instead of food..Good luck on your quest..YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey, I had a similar problem.

What helped me was to drink a lot of water, and herbal tea and have foods around to help me feel satisfied. I would have some of the super light soups, whole grains, fruits and veggies, etc so that I could munch and be full.

Soup is a great thing to have around for this! Especially the Progresso and Campbells Light soups. Some you can have an entire can for 100 cals. Just watch the sodium!! But, there is something soothing, filling and comforting about a big bowl of soup. I ate a lot of oatmeal when I first started. It takes a little bit to fill you up and "stick to your ribs" for a long time.

Eventually, I just started to be more in tune with my body. As the weight came off and I felt SO great, I focused more and more on eating healthy foods to fuel and nourish me and it just became second nature.

Now, I have to remind myself to eat sometimes. My focus is just on other things. You CAN re-program yourself that way too, I am sure of it. It just takes some time and making wiser choices.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I fall back on the whole brush your teeth routine... If I want food and I know I am not hungry and just want it to do something... I will brush my teeth because lets face it nothing tastes good mixed with toothpaste. ( I spent a lot of time brushing my teeth last year over the holidays)
  • may_marie
    Options
    I fall back on the whole brush your teeth routine... If I want food and I know I am not hungry and just want it to do something... I will brush my teeth because lets face it nothing tastes good mixed with toothpaste. ( I spent a lot of time brushing my teeth last year over the holidays)

hhahaha . i like that,, i least you have clean teeth,,, i might give that lol...