salad dressing?

Options
I was wondering if anyone knew of a "healthy" salad dressing? Ranch has a lot of calories so i had been using Fat Free Zesty Italian only to find out is has a TON of sodium. So are there better choices out there?

Replies

• xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Most vinaigrette's are pretty good :) I love the Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette from Fresh & Easy.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Drizzle on a little olive oil, then drizzle on a little red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Not salty, not full of sugar, not full of fat. The best one there is!

There are a ton of ways to spice it up, too. You can get a shaker bottle and just put olive oil and vinegar in there with spices. Good luck finding a yummy combo for you!

If you can't say no to something creamy, you can always try low fat cottage cheese on salad. That's what my aunt eats. Good protein!
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    make you own, that way you know how much oil, salt, vinegar and anything else goes in!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's fat free Balsamic Vinagrette. 2 T has 25 cal and 170 mg of sodium. I also really like TJ's Citrus Champagne Muscat Vinegar, I will use that on salads without any oil.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's fat free Balsamic Vinagrette. 2 T has 25 cal and 170 mg of sodium. I also really like TJ's Citrus Champagne Muscat Vinegar, I will use that on salads without any oil.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinegar on its own isnt bad.

I always use a reduced calorie/fat honey and mustard one which i love, but im in the UK
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Make your own! I make all my own dressings now. I use mostly vinegar (balsamic or red wine) (though not too much because it will be too acidic), the water or oil from the olives that I put in it (or you could just use regular water), and mustard (yellow or dijon) to thicken it up, whisked together with seasoning (fresh herbs work really well, or you can use dried ones, or some combination). Lots of people use lemon juice, but I'm not a huge fan of lemon myself so I really don't. But they come out awesome- I only make as much as I need for the salad that I am making at the moment, and season it to taste. I very, very rarely use any oil, and if I do, I'll use a tsp of olive oil. You can really cut back on the fat and control what is in it when you do this way.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like using Marzetti Light Raspberry Cabernet Vinaigrette Dressing and a tablespoon of raisins. It's just sweet enough but not super sweet. I also like using red wine vinager & lime juice with dill. Let it sit on the salad and you get a dill pickle taste from the carrots and cucumbers in the salad.

You could also try salsa. A little goes a long way and it usually healthy and low cal.
  • longtallted
    longtallted Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My favourite dressing is extra virgin olive oil and some freshly squeezed lemon juice, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, all applied just before serving so the leaves don't get soggy!
  • Curvy_Diva83
    Options
    I actually use Hummus instead of dressing (try Trader Joe's Mediterranean or Spicy). The consistency is thicker/richer thus you get fuller, it's delicious, and much less calories.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hello lemon jucie!
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love to mix a tablespoon of orange juice with 2 tablespoons of Trader Joe's white basalmic vinegar...so yummy!
  • simplingrillin
    Options
    just make your own its super easy, and alot easier on your checkbook. you just need an acid(vinegar of sorts) , a binder(such as honey or mustard, and oil. and then season to choice.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Last night I have low fat mayo and some wholegrain mustard mixed up. It was lovely. x
  • itsjustme77
    itsjustme77 Posts: 102
    Options
    Farmer Boy Light Greek. It is great!
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    Thank you everyone i appreciate the input/help.