Plateau Busters?!?

Options
So I haven't lost my baby weight yet, and my baby is almost 2.5 years old....my old skinny clothes in my closet are mostly all out of style now. For my wedding 6 years ago I weighed 133 lbs. We were married in Dominican Republic, and I have all the clothes from our trip in a tupperware bin. I would like to wear some of those clothes again, because we are going back to the Domincan at the end of April. I had 25 lbs to lose, and I have lost 10 so far, but, I am at that 148 lb mark that I can't seem to beat! I always get stuck here!!! I dont want muffin top in my bathing suit (incidentally I havent worn a bathing suit in 6 years, because I am horrified by my flabbiness).
Does anyone have any plateau busters to help me beat my plateau/comfort weight????!!

Help!

Replies

• jsweets4
    Options
    So I haven't lost my baby weight yet, and my baby is almost 2.5 years old....my old skinny clothes in my closet are mostly all out of style now. For my wedding 6 years ago I weighed 133 lbs. We were married in Dominican Republic, and I have all the clothes from our trip in a tupperware bin. I would like to wear some of those clothes again, because we are going back to the Domincan at the end of April. I had 25 lbs to lose, and I have lost 10 so far, but, I am at that 148 lb mark that I can't seem to beat! I always get stuck here!!! I dont want muffin top in my bathing suit (incidentally I havent worn a bathing suit in 6 years, because I am horrified by my flabbiness).
    Does anyone have any plateau busters to help me beat my plateau/comfort weight????!!

Help!
  • Itsindakiss
    Options
    I've hit my plateau as well...and would be interested in some feedback...:smooched:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    1) changing up your exersice routine, increase speed or resistance by twenty percent for example or
    do something completely different a couple times a week
    2) changing up your calories, have a couple cheat days to rev up your metabolism if you have been
    consistantly restricted for a while. Or very slightly decrease calories.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I am also stuck around 149 and have been for a month. Two weeks ago I increased my calories by 200 since I didn't think I was eating enough. Last week I increased my exercise by 15 minutes a day. I don't feel like anything has changed but I can tell my muscles are building. It's getting frustrating. I hope something changes in my weight or measurements this week! I need some kin dof encouragement! Hang in there. It has to break some time!
    Melissa
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    add some weight to your cardio. you will burn more calories and in turn should start to lose again.
  • NoMoreAt3
    Options
    A true "plateau" cannot be determined by numbers on a scale alone. Lots of times, a persone stops seeing the numbers go down on the scale, and assume they have "plateaued". Not always the case.
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so you could be getting stronger, and leaner, and healthier, but your over-all weight hasn't changed. Try measuring your overall body fat count, is it still changing? Or take body measurements (i.e. waist inches, hips inches, etc.) are they changing?
    An easy way to determine if you have truly "plateaued" or not is your clothes. Do they fit, or even better, are they loose? A true plateau means NOTHING changes, not your over-all weight, not your muscle mass (increase OR decrease), not your BMI, not your Body Fat Content Ratio, nothing. If these other, less common numbers are still changing, and only your over-all weight is the only thing standing still, rest assured, your still on track.
    Keep up the good work, and best of luck to you!
  • gafergus
    Options
    I was stuck at 250 for over 3 weeks. I was doing 40-60 minutes of treadmill walking about 5 days a week and keeping at or below my calories (planned at 2 lbs loss per week). Talk about frustrating. The only thing that helped were my clothes were getting looser and looser (so I'm sure there was some fat to muscle conversion going on).

I had researched it a bit and found reference to zig- zag diet (more calories on certain days and less on others) and changing excercise routine, so I starting eating a few hundred more calories :drinker: per day and doing Tae Bo tapes instead of treadmill and within 2 days I fell to 248 (FINALLY) and feel I'm over the hump.

On the way to 200 again! :bigsmile:
  • jsweets4
    Options
    WOW!!! SOme good ideas!!! THanks ALL, I am feeling cautiously optimistic!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

Muscle weighs more than fat, so you could be getting stronger, and leaner, and healthier, but your over-all weight hasn't changed. Try measuring your overall body fat count, is it still changing? Or take body measurements (i.e. waist inches, hips inches, etc.) are they changing?

First, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound, period. Muscle is leaner and stronger, and yes, take your measurements. But if you think you have truly hit a plateau you must increase your exercise by 20% or better yet make sure you are adding weight training to your regular fitness routine. Women tend to stay away from weights and strength training will increase your resting metabolic rate = more calories being burned through out the day.

Last, don't waste years of your life not enjoying it because you might have a little extra meat on your bones, you will regret not living because of your own insecurities. Most people are so self consumed with how they look that they barely pay attention to those around them. Do what you can between now and your vacation and then OWN IT and enjoy your time while you are there, being self confident is just as sexy to your spouse as having a rock hard body, your spouse loves you for more than your extra weight, and if he is a real man he knows it is because you bore the most beautiful gift anyone could give another...a beautiful new life!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I ditched my first plateau when I got injured and could not workout for quite some time...low and behold, my plateau ended.

Here I sit with my second one and while I havent seen a whole lot of result ( only been a week) I believe that simply swiching eating programs will do it ( I've been on WW couning points now I count calories/fat) also went back to the gym, so i'm convinced this will do it. We'll see.

I've heard you often have to swich things around, sometimes making BIG differences. Might need to 'play' with it for a bit to see what works.

Let us know and GOOD LUCK!!!:bigsmile:
  • jsweets4
    Options
    AWW!!! You are all so great! Thanks for the kind words and support! I am determined to enjoy my vacation....I wish for the day when I will be happy with my body.....
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was plateaued at 215 for three years. Okay, I wasn't trying too hard most of that time because it didn't seem to matter what I tried. I could drop down to 213 or I could float back to 218 but I just couldn't keep the losses going.

I've just started back and I saw 207.2 the other day for the first time in years. I started being much more careful with portion size, many fewer 'cheat' meals and I started running again. I also bought a mountain bike and started riding again. I also made a big batch of the Baptist weight loss soup and ate it exclusively for a few days.