Food Diary

Options
Can someone check out my food diary and tell me what I can be doing better? I feel like I'm doing pretty well, but I'm not entirely sure. All suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome!

Replies

• nicolewittenmyer
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I want to help a friend of mine but I haven't figured out a way to look at hers
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    Ok I looked at your breakfast for this morning. I noticed you are using a very high calorie bread. You might want to try Natures own light honey wheat its only 35 calories per slice. I also notices your sodium is high for breakfast which means you will have to add extra water to flush that out.
  • nicolewittenmyer
    Options
    How were you able to look at hers?
  • Lipvanmeier26
    Options
    to Nicolewitenmyer:
    If you want to view your friend's diary she has to go into her settings and change the privacy setting to allow users to view it.
  • ddc0660
    ddc0660 Posts: 1
    Options
    I believe that's a setting under Profile Privacy Control. Click on the Settings link by your username to get access to that option. You'll need to open it in order to allow others to see your diary.
  • mayclai
    mayclai Posts: 12
    Options
    Make sure you eat back your exercise calories.
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Ok I looked at your breakfast for this morning. I noticed you are using a very high calorie bread. You might want to try Natures own light honey wheat its only 35 calories per slice. I also notices your sodium is high for breakfast which means you will have to add extra water to flush that out.

Yeah. I'm noticing that I'm having a problem with sodium. When I go to the store agian this weekend, I'm going to have to read the labels better. Thanks for the advice!
  • katzav
    katzav Posts: 67
    Options
    you could try chucking out the egg yolk. (i give them to my dog :) you could also try a lower fat content milk. I usually eat a whole grain english muffin which is about 110 calories instead of higher cal slices of bread. I hope this helps.
    good luck!
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Can someone check out my food diary and tell me what I can be doing better? I feel like I'm doing pretty well, but I'm not entirely sure. All suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome!

It seems to me that your NET Calorie intake is too low. You need to try to aim for a minimum of 1200 NET Calories. Also, give your new lifestyle a chance. It takes a few weeks, or longer, for you body to get "comfortable" with what you are doing. As you go along on your journey you may find that you need to up your calories from 1200 as well.

Good Luck!! :)
  • Natalie0506
    Options
    Thanks to everyone so far! Katzav, I was planning on not eating the yolk this morning, but since I had such a high defecit yesterday, I thought that I would try to add calories this morning since I tend to work out at night. Bonnymom, that's something that I'm working on. Since I work out at night, I was trying to stay at my calories during the day, not thinking about the workout I would be doing at night. I'm going to aim to eat a bit more today than yesterday, and I will see if that helps.
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    I looked back a few days at your diary....you ARE making good choices (with a few eat-outs). I agree with the bread thing. I thought I was doing so good using a good whole grain bread but it was eating up my cals!!!! I switched to a lower cal bread 45 cal per slice - yes the slices are a bit smaller but I don't even notice anymore! There are a couple of days you didn't hit 1200....weather you eat back your exercise cals or not you must take in at least 1200 cal - this is minimum!!!!! No room for discussion on that one!
    Again....you ARE making wonderful choices.....Just keep up what you're doing - tweak it when you need to. I try and eat 5-6 times a day....it helps keep me satisfied! As you may know this IS a journey - not a quick fix.
    :drinker: Hooray for you for asking for help.....But really I'm just comfirming that you are on the right track!!!!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I went through it and it looks like you net is pretty low. You should be eating back most of your exercise calories so you net closer to 1200.

I wouldn't worry about cutting out the calories on the bread if that is what you want to eat. especially if you have room for the calories. As you get closer to your goal you calorie allotment will go down too and you can adjust it then.

if you want to peek at mine and see what I eat feel free. Ignore yesterday. I had mcdonalds for supper, but it was planned and I still didn't do too bad, but that is not typical.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Looking through quickly, you are consistently very short on protein, and over on fats. MFP has protein set too low to begin with , so it's really not good that you keep missing it. You should be aiming for at least .5g of protein per pound of body weight per day.

I see a LOT of processed foods as well. If you could try to cut those, you'd probably see major improvements.

I think I saw in another thread that you are adamantly against eating exercise calories, so I won't even go there.
  • playfortoday
    Options
    I notice you also seem to be eating food that's quite high in sodium, like readymade pasta sauce. There are a lot of fantastic recipes on here for things like pasta sauce, meatballs, etc., which generally use less sugar and/or salt than the store-bought kind, and generally taste better too!
  • Natalie0506
    Options
    I notice you also seem to be eating food that's quite high in sodium, like readymade pasta sauce. There are a lot of fantastic recipes on here for things like pasta sauce, meatballs, etc., which generally use less sugar and/or salt than the store-bought kind, and generally taste better too!

The ready made sauce was a one time thing. I usually make my own, but I was short on time last night. And I definately need to read my labels better. Thanks for the advice!