Has Anybody Tried This Thing?

Options
I was channel surfing this morning while wait for the the house to wake up and I came across this infomercial. It was for "Shapely Secrets" by Greer Childers. She was pushing her system that aparently gets you to loose "up to 1 dress size, 2 inches and 10 pounds in 14 days" through motionless excercise. :noway: How is motionless excercise possible? Is it just clenching you muscles?

Bottom line I was curious if anyone here had tried it and if they thought it worked or not.

Replies

• DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I was channel surfing this morning while wait for the the house to wake up and I came across this infomercial. It was for "Shapely Secrets" by Greer Childers. She was pushing her system that aparently gets you to loose "up to 1 dress size, 2 inches and 10 pounds in 14 days" through motionless excercise. :noway: How is motionless excercise possible? Is it just clenching you muscles?

Bottom line I was curious if anyone here had tried it and if they thought it worked or not.
  • mhaarhaus
    Options
    It's isometric exercises...and yes they do work...the problem with them is that you must, must, must do it every day...it seems that isometric exercise doesn't build muscle as much as it tones the ones you have. In order to keep a good muscle shape, you have to build them...I found the one for the face very amusing...it's worth the try. I'm the sort of person that tries everything...but stick to nothing....I think this time around I'm just going to do the gym.

MA

83518.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't know anything about shapely secrets (never seen the infomercial)...but there was a woman about 10 years ago or so (I think she is still around) that had an "exersise tape" out that there was no excersise.......it was these very bizarre breathing techniques and sounds.....anyways my room mate at the time had bought it and we were using it and felt utterly ridiculous :) lol......so we didn't last long doing it :)......for me personally I just dont' beleive there is a way to excersise to lose weight without movement, higher heart rate etc.........I wish there was an easier way :) but I just dont' think there is.....if you try it let us know what your results are....
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi, yoga, and pliates are all isometric based. Yeah they work to a degree, they can tone, develop core muscles, and help to strengthen muscles. Isometrics don't really calssify as cardio but they do raise the heart rate somewhat, and are good for you. I wouldn't suggest doing them and nothing else, but they are a good part of the plan. I try to do yoga 2 to 3 times a week along with my running and weight training.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Okay so I thought this was the one my friend bought (really wasn't me!!) but I did use it :blushing: It was ridiculous.. my stomach muscles did respond but really.. the motions you do look so silly - I don't know if you could stick with it..

Have fun and if you do, totally watch yourself in a mirror.. too funny!! :tongue:
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't know anything about shapely secrets (never seen the infomercial)...but there was a woman about 10 years ago or so (I think she is still around) that had an "exersise tape" out that there was no excersise.......it was these very bizarre breathing techniques and sounds.....anyways my room mate at the time had bought it and we were using it and felt utterly ridiculous :) lol......so we didn't last long doing it :)......for me personally I just dont' beleive there is a way to excersise to lose weight without movement, higher heart rate etc.........I wish there was an easier way :) but I just dont' think there is.....if you try it let us know what your results are....

is that the one were you do the lion face, i think its called, my mom borrowed that from my aunt once when i was like 11 or 12, (wow that was 10years ago, i'm getting old :laugh: ) she made me try it w/ her but i think we spent most of the time rolling on the floor laughing, mimicing the funny noises she made. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: makes me laugh just thinking about it.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    hmmm sounds like the excercise is made to burn calories by making you laugh.:laugh:
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i remember it so well ........ you got down on all fours on the floor........... stuck your head up ........... then you stuck your chin out kind of like if you were purposely giving yourself a underbight .............. then you make these funny noises .........

*laughing about the thought of doing it again* ........ just talking to my husband ...... he wanted to know why was laughing so hard ...... i was telling him the story and he said his mom had the same tape and he would sit there and make fun of her....... until he started to realise that it actually worked. hey if it works for you and you can keep a straight face then go for it, me i would spend most of my time not laughing.......
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I agree, it works, if you do it every single day. But...as others said too - it is hard to take it seriously it because it is so ridiculous looking. I never used it alone, I always did cardio as well. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

is that the one were you do the lion face, i think its called, my mom borrowed that from my aunt once when i was like 11 or 12, (wow that was 10years ago, i'm getting old :laugh: ) she made me try it w/ her but i think we spent most of the time rolling on the floor laughing, mimicing the funny noises she made. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: makes me laugh just thinking about it.

YES that is the one :)........she was a tall woman mabey in her 40's with long blond hair......and i remember you had to get on your hands and knees and and do these bizzare breathing excersises that came from deep in your diaphram and it was hilarious :).......my friend and i laughed so hard, we had to stop :) lol.......but ya that was probably more than 10 years ago now......wow :)......
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Okay so I thought this was the one my friend bought (really wasn't me!!) but I did use it :blushing: It was ridiculous.. my stomach muscles did respond but really.. the motions you do look so silly - I don't know if you could stick with it..

Have fun and if you do, totally watch yourself in a mirror.. too funny!! :tongue:

I hear ya! I bought a workout vid once called "Aero-Chi", an attempt to combine aerobic motion with Tai-chi. It didn't to it for me because I felt to silly "swaying like sea grass" and making strange faces, etc, so I couldn't stick with it.
  • cassangelidy
    Options

YES that is the one :)........she was a tall woman mabey in her 40's with long blond hair......and i remember you had to get on your hands and knees and and do these bizzare breathing excersises that came from deep in your diaphram and it was hilarious :).......my friend and i laughed so hard, we had to stop :) lol.......but ya that was probably more than 10 years ago now......wow :)......

You guys are talking about BodyFlex!! Greer Childers and she was over 50 at that time. She is now over 60 and she looks amazing....and yes....Shapely Secrets is the newest development in her line. It really does work.....looking at how young she looks would make me take it seriously...I actually pulled the tapes out (yes I got them when I was 18...yes 10 years ago) but I'm far too self conscience. Maybe when I get thinner I won't feel so silly. :)
  • my2girls0507
    Options
    I have it and it does work. Your whole body hurts the first day!!! It's a little awkward at first, but once you get a hang of the positions you don't even need the DVD anymore. My sister in law gave it to me. She lost all of her baby weight using it, which was about 20 pounds.
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I've used her BodyFlex tape (Oh God, it was a tape, not a dvd...what does that tell you...?!) and I loved it. If you can get over feeling ridiculous and the horrible 'paaaaaah' noises you make it really is great. It obviously doesn't do much to get your heart-rate up but it shows results, and fast!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hehehehehehehehehheh.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyxpXgS5deU&feature=related
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    And PS... the Lion is a legit Yoga Pose... but I still think it looks silly (though stretching the facial muscles does have it's benefits)