Water.... 8 Cups?!

Options
I try to drink 8 glasses of water a day but find it really hard.... what measurement is 'a cup' ? I drink half pint glasses, does that equate to a cup or is that more?

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    8oz = 1 cup, so 64oz. and google is saying that 64oz = 4 pints so a 1/2 pint glass would be 8oz. so you're good to go
  • Tiffeney
    Tiffeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    8 cups are hard to drink ! I did it yesturday with many run to the bathroom ! lol:wink:
  • LisaB01
    LisaB01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I have heard is 64 oz for a person at their normal weight. For people trying to loose weight, you should drink one 8 oz glass for every 25lbs over you are. This means 12 cups of water a day for me.

http://www.inch-aweigh.com/water.html
  • missbrandyp
    missbrandyp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've never found it difficult to drink the water you're supposed to drink. I have a 20oz bottle at my desk at work and in just the 9 hours I'm there I drink a good 15-20 cups.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You get used to it! What's worked for me is buying a large water bottle that holds 4 cups. I fill that twice a day and I'm already at my water goal! I usually fill it 3x a day and then also drink water at the gym and I try to at night when I have dinner as well. Makes it much easier to get the water in!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    It's especially hard when you dont like the taste of water! I am TERRIBLE at drinking...i probably average about a cup of ANY beverage a day (coffee, tea, water, soda - diet of course).

my guitar instructor once told me that he read you should drink as many oz of water as how many pounds you weigh...i am just going to say i dont feel like it's a good idea for me to drink 26 cups of water a day!! :(
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I try to drink 8 glasses of water a day but find it really hard.... what measurement is 'a cup' ? I drink half pint glasses, does that equate to a cup or is that more?

1/2 pint is a cup.

It gets easy. I put down well over that. It takes time, and a lot of trips to the bathroom, but you adjust and feel much better
  • Paiche
    Paiche Posts: 92
    Options
    It's not as hard as you would think (:
    Drink one with each meal, and with each snack. That alone is 4-5 cups.
    Have one glass during exercise and one after.
    And have one with you when your doing leisurely things like watching tv or reading.

It can be easier if you mix it up. Sometimes i put lemon, or cucumber, or a crystal light packet in mine. You can also make tea.

The key is to always have some water sitting around you. I drink water much more if i have it within arms length to remind me to drink it and because im just lazy.haha

I have also found many glasses are 16 oz that i use, so i tend to drink more using those as compared to smaller cups or mugs!
  • mrsbullard21
    Options
    It's hard for me too. I saw where someone else mentioned that it's hard to drink that much of anything, and I'm the same way.
    I've started trying to drink water everytime I think about it. In doing that I don't always have an accurate count of how much I've had for the day - sometimes I think about it at home, pour a full glass, only drink half, and pour the rest out - but I know it's more than what I was drinking. At least it's an improvement. :)
    It has to be super-ice cold too!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You will feel so much better if you do drink lots of water ! Just make the decision that you have to! and go for it!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    For the UK'ers... 250ml = 8.5oz = 1 cup!

I carry a 2ltr bottle of water with me to work and aim to drink that before I leave, and then usually add another half to a full litre at the gym. I can't stand water either, so drink it with no sugar added juice (4cals per 250ml) and that helps! I also have found that since I started to drink more I feel more thirsty!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The way i do it.....I have a 16 oz bottle and I fill it up 4 times a day. But water is ALL that I drink besides my coffee in the morning.
  • jen_jen1985
    Options
    I always hated drinking water, I'm a Coca Cola kind of gal, but I got used to it. I find it easy to get the water down by drinking out of a sports bottle, just taking small sips every 10 or 15 minutes. Usually manage to get down about 3L a day now, but it really took some getting used to.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    It's difficult for me too and because it always has been like that for me, I've researched a lot. I've read that we should be counting any liquids, so if you eat a soup that counts as water, if you drink milk or juice, that too counts... but don't ignore the caloric intake of course. Some might disagree but this works better for me.

PS. Excess water can harm you as well :S
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I read somewhere that 8 of 12 ounces of water is the recommended intake for an average adult. That comes to 12 cups.

Another post i read here about how much water to drink so your body does not retain water, is to take half of your weight and that will be your baseline of how many ounces to drink. Then to add every 8 oz water for every 8 oz of non water you drink, and also to add 8 oz for before and another 8 oz for after a workout, THEN add 8 oz for each 30 min you workout.

I tried following that guideline and started losing more pounds It sure was hard at first but got easier each day.

Key is to drink it evenly over time instead of as much as you can at once or you'll get that water intoxication problem.