In weight loss Rut!!

Options
I'm experiencing a weight loss Rut. I started my fitnesspal 3/6/2011 at 175 pounds. I currently weigh 166.2. Those numbers are ok if all you look at is starting at ending but my dilema is this. It seems that I am starting to gain and taper off. Two weeks ago I was 161-163 range which was awsome cause my goal is 155, yet now I'm 166? I'm not doing anything different. Why would I start to gain weight? Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

Replies

• BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I feel like that is where I'm at too...
  • allen83
    allen83 Posts: 17
    Options
    How often are you weighing in? Are you eating differently or eating foods high in sodium and drinking less water? Personally I find that if I eat a lot of sodium (4000 mgs+) in a day and fail to drink enough water to get it out of my system I'll gain 2 - 3 pounds of bloat weight which goes away in a couple days.
  • Thunderella05
    Options
    I had that issue for about 3 weeks straight and I was starting to get disappointed and just wanted to call it quits, but I didn't. I decided that maybe my body needed a little shock, so for about a week I ate back all my exercise calories on top of all my normal ones and I woke up after about 6 or 7 days of doing that and I found I was 2 pounds lighter! I don't know if it's the same issue with you, but it might be worth a shot. Hope this helps.
  • davd422
    davd422 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day. I've always been under the moto "if you want to fix a problem you need to track it". Not multiple times a day but just 1 weigh one each morning before food/drink. As far as sodium goes I probably do eat too much sodium around 2600-3800 per day is what I'm consuming. I cycle 100+ miles per week so I'm always trying to hydrate before a ride or hydrate after a ride.
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good job on the weight loss so far! It may be that you lost a lot during a short amount of time. If you got down to 161 from 175, that's a 14 lbs. difference in 5 weeks, which is probably a little high. You may eat too little, so make sure you get at least 1200 calories / day so you don't go in starvation mode. I would keep up with the rest of the diet, and have patience. I think a realistic long term goal is to lose 1 lbs / week, which means you already surpassed your goal by quite a few lbs so far. Good luck!!!
  • davd422
    davd422 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Another question I have is. Like I stated earlier I cycle 100 or so miles a week. I ride on Tues, Thursday and Saturday. According to myfitnesspal on each of those rides I burn 1,800 calories per ride. I eat more calories on those days but still have 1,000 or so calories left on those days. I know some people to say "eat all your exercise calories" but that just seems like a lot of extra calories. Could that be the culprit?