• kimmyh70
    kimmyh70 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    sounds great, thanks for sharing!
    :happy:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Butter or lightly oil your slow cooker before adding the oats and it won't stick to the side of the crock pot as much. I find it only does that when you make them overnight and don't have a chance to stir (who wakes up in the middle of the night to stir? lol).

Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it! I make steel cut oats all the time (had them this morning in fact) :)

My favorite recipe using steel cut oats
    > http://jdelisle42.blogspot.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Bumping again!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm eating this right now! I made it last night and viola, the kiddos had hot, protein filled oatmeal before they went off to school this morning and I had breakfast ready to go. This is my first experience with steel cut oats. YUMMY!

(I did add some almond milk & brown sugar to my bowl).
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    grocery list this weekend. I've been having a half cup of old fashioned oats in the morning with my cereal, this sounds good and different. Also love my crock pot. Just may get the wife to try some as well, but that may be a stretch.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried making this with milk or almond milk instead of water. And also, crockpot liners are the way to go!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is my very favorite - i eat it every day! i've been wanting to try the steel cut oats, so thank you so much for sharing the recipe!
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Would oat bran be the same thing?
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump - been looking for a steel cut oats recipe!
  • porchwork
    porchwork Posts: 69
    Options
    bump bump
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I make mine like this too. I throw in some dried cranberries and a bit of agave nectar (along with some vanilla and cinnamon) to go with it. In the mornings, I splash in some milk and about 10 raw almonds. It's soooo good!
  • up2me2lose20
    Options
    Steel cut oats are not the same as oat bran. Oat bran is much more refined than the steel cut oats. The long cook time is what has steered me away from the steel cut oats, but this way the crock pot takes care of that!
    Would oat bran be the same thing?
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I made this last night:

1/2 cup Steel Oats
    1 tbsp Cinnamon
    1 cup Milk
    2 cups water
    24 Almonds

Low heat in crockpot for 8 hours..and voila!

It was awesome and tons healthier than quick oats. I'm going to play around with some different varieties..
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Just wondering though...I'm cooking for one.....can you freeze and reheat cooked oatmeal??
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Just wondering though...I'm cooking for one.....can you freeze and reheat cooked oatmeal??

I'm not sure about freezing. But I put all the leftovers in the fridge. I'm going to eat some tomorrow for breakfast, I'll let you know how that goes.
  • nanny_mc
    nanny_mc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump until I can figure out how to print the recipes.
  • up2me2lose20
    Options
    I didn't freeze mine, but refrigerated the leftovers...warmed it in the microwave the next morning and added some almond milk. Very tastey!
  • PennyLyn
    PennyLyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BUMP :) Thank you!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mmm.. just fell in love with overnight breakfasts! So much better than cold cereal. I like using half oats, half barley. The barley gives it more texture.

As for the sticking what I do is empty the crock after eating and fill it with water past the food line. Let it sit (turned off) for a while (usually until I get home so that's all day) and it's unstuck!
  • VeganMinx
    VeganMinx Posts: 11
    Options
    I LOVE OATS! But instead of cooking them overnight I soak them.

The first 3 ingredients are your base - for there the possibilites are endless

1/2 cup oats (smaller appetites use 1/3 cup)
    1.5 tbs Chia Seeds (Ground flax can be used instead) (if using 1/3 cup use 1TBS)
    3/4 cup milk of your choice (if 1/3 cup oats use 2/3 cup milk)

For Pumpkin Pie Oats: (This is the flavor oats, mix with the base)

2 tsp agave nectar
    1/3 cup pumpkin, organic canned
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Other examples:
    chocolate flavored protein powder + 1/2 mashed banana

Toppings - added in the morning:

For Pumpkin Pie:
    Walnuts, small handful, crushed
    Coconut, dried unsweetened: several pinches
    Golden Raisins, small handful

Other ideas:
    peanut butter
    fresh chopped fruit (cherry goes great w/ chocolate protein powder + 1/2 mashed banana)

Mix oats, chia seeds, milk + flavor ingredients in a container or bowl. Cover and refridgerate overnight. The next morning when you are ready to eat your oats add you toppings. Stir well and enjoy!