exercise pain

Options
I have been exercising alot in the last two or three weeks. My muscles are killing me. Will the pain ever lessen or am I just over doing things. Before I started dieting I was pretty sedentary now I am very active. I am getting alot of protein through meat and protein drinks and bars. I just can't understand why I am so sore still. Can someone give me some ideas please?

Replies

• coahdan
    coahdan Posts: 19
    Options
    What type of exercises are you doing? Does the soreness lessen as you get into your workout or does it get worse?
  • TheBeautyofWellness
    Options
    It's normal to feel sore after workouts because your muscles are being torn and then repaired again. It is important to know your limitations so that you don't injure yourself especially since you were sedentary before. This is a big change to your body and it's better to go slow for better results than fast. Patient pays. After an strenuous workout, your body needs time to rest and repair. I would say alternate every other day with cardio and do strength exercises in between so that you're not tearing through your muscles without giving them extra time to repair. Your body could also need minerals to decrease soreness and cramps as well and anti-oxidants for toxins that your body is exposed. When I incorporate calcium, magnesium, and vitamin C into my diet, I notice that I feel less sore in work outs. Also, make sure that your using the proper techniques when working out so that you don't tear anything other than muscles that could take a long time to heal. Hope this helps.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Are you stretching? Taking any rest days? A massage might help. Are the painful areas warm to the touch, or is it a throbbing sort of pain? That's a sign of inflammation and more serious...

And ditto to what she ^ says.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I find doing some nice stretches for about 5-10 minutes after exercising lessens if not eliminates any muscle pain I get. A little soreness is normal but painful soreness continuously tells me you may need to slow it down a bit or do more stretching. Good luck!
  • davd422
    davd422 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone definition of pain is different. Two things to remember it is fine and actually good to workout if your muscles are mildely sore. If they are moderalty sore or more than that try to excersise a different set of muscles til then former returns to mild or no soreness. JOINTS SHOULD NOT HAVE PAIN. I cannot not express that enough. Try not to fall in the TOO MUCH TOO SOON crowd, I see it all the time and it can sideline you for a good while if you mess with joint pain. Listen to your body and just be active.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Stretch a lot, before and after if you can. I found that roughly 3 weeks in (I went from couch to boot camp) was when I stopped feeling sore all over. Just make sure it's your muscles and not your joints aching.
  • walkintomusic
    walkintomusic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. But when you were talking about joint pain I can't really do anything about that I have serious knee problems and can't prevent the pain. But on the other hand the doctor tells me walking could actually make the pain better in the joint. The main pain that bothers me is muscle pain in my calves and thighs. I do alot of walking on a flat walking track. I have also been working alot out in the yard since it has gotten nice outside. This is something I am used to doing every spring so I am used to being a little sore in the spring time, but this is not going away. I have taken rest days in between exercises and I slow down on the last mile of my walk to give the muscles time to cool down. I was just wondering if there were more things I could try.