Soup diet?

Options
Has anyone heard of this? Apparently you can only eat certain things on certain days but you can have as much soup as you want? Sounds interesting!

Replies

• deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Sounds dumb. Eat whole foods. Much better for you in every way.
  • JBRENTLINGER
    Options
    Unless the soup diet has you putting chicken, pork, or lean beef in it to gain protein, along with lentils and beans, I would steer clear of a soup diet.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Soup is incredibly high in sodium if you buy it canned. It sounds like a bad idea... Just portion control and eat fresh healthy foods. You don't need some "eat only this food" diet.
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    I make these soups with vegetable broth and different combinations of brown rice, black beans, lentils, spinach, carrots, and mushrooms. They aren't the most flavorful of meals, and my husband thinks they smell bad, but my dietitian said I could eat almost as much as I want of them. She did say to stay away from most canned soup because of sodium.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I don't know why people post things that are rude and act like they have all the answers. That does sound interesting. Soup is very good for you if you make it yourself. Store bought has lots of sodium. It fills you up, too. I have a book of over 100 ways to live to be 100 and eating soup is something this doctor suggests. What are the other foods on the list?
  • 4gracealone
    Options
    I haven't heard of a soup diet, but I've been making a homemade soup that I call turkey vegetable. If you like cabbage, broccoli,carrots and califlower....you'll love this. In a stock pot brown slightly 1lb. ground turkey in a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add 10-12 cups hot water that has been seasoned with beef stock base(I buy mine at Gordons...its in a paste like form...make sure that salt is not the first ingrediant...I also buy my chicken base there with roasted chicken listed as the first ingrediant)
    Bring to a boil. To this add one large head of cabbage (cut up in large chunks, one 2lb. package of fresh broccoli, carrots and califlower (called a vegetable medley) Cook until vegetables are tender. This freezes very well so you can put a serving of two cups in a freezer container. If it didn't have the turkey added it would be approx. 63 calories per two cups. Enjoy!
  • mamayoga
    mamayoga Posts: 43
    Options
    I have heard of this. It's a particular soup recipe that you make at home, from scratch, right? It goes around the internet and email where I work, some ladies here have done it.

So it's mostly inert, veggie things like cabbage, that fills you up and gives you something 'safe' to be noshing on all day. Nothing wrong with filling up on vegetables, in my book. However, I think it's also not something you do for a long time, but only for a week or so.

Sounds like a good way to lose a couple pounds every once in awhile, if you're already at your goal, and need a little "diet week" every so often.