Make sure you are cleaning your HRM strap!!

Options
I have a polar watch and before it stopped working it would go from 160 (example number) to 00 or _ _ . So I went of a live chat with support. I found out that I wasn't washing it properly (gross) and if you don't wash it or wash it correctly the salt deposits from the sweat can cause corrosion in the strap and this can cause you not to get a reading. She told me that you are suppose to hand wash it after every workout or if you use it 3 or more times a week to machine wash it (after detaching the plastic piece) in addition.

I didn't know washing it was for the actual HRM; I thought it was for sanitary reasons and for it not to stink!! I feel very gross about not washing it right lol gross!!! So I thought I would spread the word!!

Replies

• jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wonder if that's why mine gets a bad reading so often! Thanks for the tip!
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    thank for sharing, i usually just rinse mine off under warm water when im done. I think I will start putting it in the washer every once in awile.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I also use medical gel instead of water on the probes...
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oh wow....I will wash mine right now that thing has been USED...yuck!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Reeeaaalllly??

Gee - I never thought of that. I thought I wasn't supposed to just douse the thing in water, so I did the light wetting for the contact parts, and have left it at that. Guess I'll be washing it a bit later today. I always keep the little snap-on part off the strap, but I can toss the rest of the strap in the water and wash it up? Guess I'll do that later. Thanks for the hot tip!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    interesting. thank you for sharing...
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Reeeaaalllly??

Gee - I never thought of that. I thought I wasn't supposed to just douse the thing in water, so I did the light wetting for the contact parts, and have left it at that. Guess I'll be washing it a bit later today. I always keep the little snap-on part off the strap, but I can toss the rest of the strap in the water and wash it up? Guess I'll do that later. Thanks for the hot tip!

Almost all of the Polar HRM's are waterproof, so you can actually wear the things while swimming. They'll be fine with a soaking.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Glad to see my im not the only one!!! :embarassed:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Reeeaaalllly??

Almost all of the Polar HRM's are waterproof, so you can actually wear the things while swimming. They'll be fine with a soaking.

No sir.. She said just rinsing doesn't get rid of all the salt and to use detergent or hand soap.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Were you able to get yours fixed after it stopped working?

Mine does the same thing - gets some correct readings then zeros out several times while exercising and doesn't accurately record my calories burned. I've thought about sending it for repair, but wasn't sure what the cause was and didn't realize they had live support on their site.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Reeeaaalllly??

No sir.. She said just rinsing doesn't get rid of all the salt and to use detergent or hand soap.

Sorry for not clarifying. She made it sound like she was afraid of getting the unit or strap too wet. I know it needs to be washed weekly. I rinse mine off after every workout and toss in the laundry once a week.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Were you able to get yours fixed after it stopped working?

Mine does the same thing - gets some correct readings then zeros out several times while exercising and doesn't accurately record my calories burned. I've thought about sending it for repair, but wasn't sure what the cause was and didn't realize they had live support on their site.

I just found this out so I will get back to you in a couple days. I was going to try and clean it good in the sink and then wash it so it might be a couple days until I know. I was going to send mine in to and she said to wash it in the washer first.,
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have looked at my reading a time or two the past week and it was 00. I usually wash it after every use (with soap and water). Maybe I'm not washing good enough? So odd.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I just bought my HRM and used it for the first time last night. I certainly don't want to ruin it by not taking proper care of it!
  • Jayni40
    Jayni40 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was scared to put it in the wash because of the detergent. Now that I know its okay going into the laundry for now on.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I was scared to put it in the wash because of the detergent. Now that I know its okay going into the laundry for now on.

Exactly me too! I thought it could mess up whatever electrical stuff that is going on in there lol
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure I ruined my first HRM because I didn't wash the band. The readings got really screwy and would go through a battery in a couple days.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the wash but I put in in a lingerie bag to kind of protect it for getting wrapped around anything.
  • alyssa83202
    alyssa83202 Posts: 334
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I've never even thought about washing it until now but it makes sense.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the wash but I put in in a lingerie bag to kind of protect it for getting wrapped around anything.

That's a really good idea, thanks!