Cheap, and I mean CHEAP recipes

Replies

• amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Make a soup with:

1 can black beans
    1 can whole kernel corn, drained
    2 cans chicken broth (or 1 can broth and 1 can cream of chicken soup)
    1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chiles

Season it with some cumin and chili powder. Add some light sour cream & low fat cheese if you have it. One person can eat on this for days & you can use all store brand items to make it even cheaper.
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    I'm with ya in looking for cheap food. I found this great packet of vegetable or split pea soup mix in the international isle of my grocery store for 1.50. Then I added 1/2 bag frozen veggies and chicken but you can leave the chicken out. It's delicious and made 5 servings!
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    I haven't seen any mention of dried beans and peas and lentils. You can buy a pound of any for $1.00 at a dollar store or Walmart. It will feed you for several days. Cook according to directions and add dried onion, herb seasonings or southwest seasonings and any vegetables you have, carrots, celery, potatoes, squash. They are a good source of protein, high in fiber. Lentils cook in a very short time and when seasoned well are very delicious. Look online for recipes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I was going to suggest dried beans, peas and lentils, as well. Very inexpensive and high in fiber which help keep you feeling full for longer. Soak them in water overnight before adding to a recipe or cook them in a crockpot.
  • Amberama
    Amberama Posts: 17
    In Australia there's been a campaign to raise money by living on $3 a day. Here's the link to a sample menu. You could tweek this each day - the chicken wings are probably not so great for weight loss, but I can't see the rest of the day being that calorie laden, so no doubt you'd have spare cals for them?

http://www.fromcuptocrop.com.au/the-challenge/recipes/lyndey-milans-3-per-day-menu/
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    i make a pot of veggie chilli- very cheap.. and it lasts for like a week. if you want the recipe ill give it to you :)
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    *BUMP*!

So many of you have awesome tips!! I'd love to try some out. I'm trying to spend as little as possible on food because I'm saving for my wedding.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Lentils are really cheap, I just bought a bag for 88 cents and got 8 meals out of it. I've made lentil chili and another dish with lentils rice (also cheap!) and onions. Both good and filling and cost next to nothing. Steel cut oats too, the cannister was a little over $5, but it lasts a long time...I added some dried fruit to it which was only a couple dollars.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    I just thought of something else...sometimes the grocery store will seriously mark down meats if its the last day of the "sell by" date. The meat is perfectly fine if you use it or get it in the freezer right away and I've saved big money that way.
  • BUMP!!!
  • In Australia there's been a campaign to raise money by living on $3 a day. Here's the link to a sample menu. You could tweek this each day - the chicken wings are probably not so great for weight loss, but I can't see the rest of the day being that calorie laden, so no doubt you'd have spare cals for them?

http://www.fromcuptocrop.com.au/the-challenge/recipes/lyndey-milans-3-per-day-menu/

Sounds very interesting I never would have thought that would be possible.....Thanks I'll have to check it out also because sometimes I'm cooking just for myself and it can be wasteful.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Bump
  • MaryAnne1
    MaryAnne1 Posts: 183 Member
    bump great ideas!!
  • lcarr417
    lcarr417 Posts: 16
    Make a soup with:

1 can black beans
    1 can whole kernel corn, drained
    2 cans chicken broth (or 1 can broth and 1 can cream of chicken soup)
    1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chiles

Season it with some cumin and chili powder. Add some light sour cream & low fat cheese if you have it. One person can eat on this for days & you can use all store brand items to make it even cheaper.

About how much sour cream and cheese do you add?
  • lcarr417
    lcarr417 Posts: 16
    i make a pot of veggie chilli- very cheap.. and it lasts for like a week. if you want the recipe ill give it to you :)

can you post it?? thanks!!
  • Volforlife83
    Volforlife83 Posts: 22 Member
    I can sympathize...when I was single and on a super low budget, I pretty much lived on low carb whole wheat wraps with part skim shredded cheese. Just popped it in the microwave for a minute. I ate two of those and then a canned veggie (great value green beans with no salt added). The cheese will get you protein and the whole grain wraps can be a pretty good source of fiber and protein as well. Also stock up on some cheap fruits to snack on ( I get a thing of strawberries and blueberries for $4). I like to cut them up to make them last longer and sometimes I'll put some light yogurt on them.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    bump... for later
  • zave
    zave Posts: 238
    Another idea - do you have a blood plasma center nearby? You can always give plasma and they give you from $15-20 per hourlong visit. And you can go twice a week.

Damn. I was gonna say ....never mind. Anything after this makes me sound like a coupon cutting value shopping wimp. haha
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    PEPPER AND EGG SANDWICHES
    GRILLED CHEESE/TOMATO SOUP
    TUNA SALAD SANDWICHES (ON ENGLISH MUFFINS/USE EGGS FROM CARTON BOUGHT FOR PEPPER&EGGS)
    TUNA TOSSED WITH LETTUCE AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR(CAN ADD HARD BOILED EGGS)
    PASTA WITH SAUCE
    MEATBALL SPLASHES/SUBS(MEATBALLS MADE WITH SAUCE FROM ABOVE)
    PIZZA MADE FROM LEFTOVER SAUCE(ON ENGLISH MUFFINS)
    CHEESE QUESADILLAS
    BEAN TOSTADOS
    CHILI
    SLOPPY JOES(USE SOME OF THE GROUND BEEF , YOU ARE MAKINGMEATBALLS WITH)
    ENCHILADAS
    TACOS
    RICE/ BEANS

IF I ONLY HAD 20 DOLLARS...HERE IS WHAT I WOULD BUY....LETTUCE ...75 CENTS
    TOMATO..50 CENTS
    BANANAS ...1.00
    BROWN RICE 1.50 EACH
    TUNA 2/1.00
    CHICKEN...3.00
    MUSHROOMS 1.00
    SPAGHETTI NOODLES 2/1.00
    GROUND BEEF..2.00
    TOMATO SAUCE 2/1.00=2.00
    CUCUMBER .50
    SOUP 2/100= 2.00
    TOMATO....50
    CHEESE LOWFAT SWISS...1.00(from deli)
    oatmeal... 1.00
    bread .50
    1/2 doz eggs..... .50
    lemon. 50
    i believe this comes to $20.25 and with it you have...1. salad with cucumber/tuna 2. toast/eggs 3.oatmeal 4.grilled swiss with soup 5.pasta with meatballs 5. meatball splash 6 pasta with diced tomatoes(and tuna) 7. grilled chicken and cold pasta salad with cucumbers and tomato 8beans and rice with chicken.(leftover grilled chicken) 9.rice and lemon soup with chicken broth(from other can of soup) 10.egg salad sandwich 11.oatmeal and bananas 12. grilled banana on toast 13.hamburger with swiss 14. use last of chicken with last of chicken broth, last of eggs, last of bread and make a casserole of homemade stuffing(use up your spices in your cupboard and toss with bread and egg , place in baking dish put leftover chicken add last of swiss cheese and bake) 15chili with tomato sauce,beans and ground beef (can serve over rice) 16man in the middle of the raft(fried eggs inside a piece of bread you cut a whole in) 17 grilled cheese with mushrooms 18.last of sauce with sauteed mushrooms over pasta..................... hope this helps!!!!!!!!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    with only 20 dollars I'd load up on brown rice and just add it to every meal. It will keep you full! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.