Too many vitamins/supplements?

Options
I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to take too many vitamins/supplements? I know that some vitamins (A, D, E, K) can raise to toxic levels, so I am not taking about those. But I take a multivitamin (to balance), B-complex supplement, fish oil (help cholesterol), flax (more cholesterol help, and help with fiber), and green tea supplement (energy). I just don't know if they can cancel each other out or anything :)

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    intresting, gonna bump so i can come back to read responses..
  • Jackie0127
    Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • cfer843625
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I take my multi, super B complex, potassium, fish oil and C.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Normally it is hard to take too many water soluble vitamins; be careful of fat soluble.
    Water soluble will pee out, fat soluble stores in the body fat and takes time to come out, so you can over-take them.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Nope. You're nowhere near too high with that. Most of the vitamins are water soluble so you're gonna pee out what you don't need.

My preworkout supplement literally has 3300 percent of the daily value of b12. No ill effects.

You're fine.
  • beachy211135
    Options
    i am pretty sure that your body only takes what it needs as far as vitamins go after that the body just excerets the extra. I am not sure how the body knows that it has enough, or not. But its what i have always been told. I am reallly curious if this is true.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and supplements don't "cancel each other out", but you may not want to take them all at once so that your body has a better chance of absorbing them completely. For example, my multivitamin has me take two pills per day, so I take one in the morning and one before bed.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to take too many vitamins/supplements? I know that some vitamins (A, D, E, K) can raise to toxic levels, so I am not taking about those. But I take a multivitamin (to balance), B-complex supplement, fish oil (help cholesterol), flax (more cholesterol help, and help with fiber), and green tea supplement (energy). I just don't know if they can cancel each other out or anything :)

To get the best answer for your question is to talk to a doctor about it. Everyone is different and may require more than others... I take "Scientifically Enhanced" Supplements and talked to my doctor before taking anything. Told me to just follow what is on the package recommendations and if I have any side affects or anything to come back. So far so good.

Good luck & God Bless
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Too much calcium may inhibit iron absorption. Too much vitamin A may interfere with vitamin D function, leading to bone fractures. And vitamin E taken in amounts over 20 times the RDA can have an anticlotting effect―potentially dangerous if you're already taking aspirin or blood thinners

Here is a link to a pretty concise article about vitamins on webmd

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/vitamin-pills-popping-too-many
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You know I hear people say, "talk to Your Doctor" but many of them Do NOT have a clue about Nutrition. That is not what they are about, unless they take the time to study it. Doctors do not study Nutrition! I have even looked at Dr. Oz and that man has no clue about Obesity...that's not his area of expertise. Asking most Dr. about Nutrition is like asking a Chef or Trainer about Nutrition. Go to a Certified Nutritionist or Dietitian, AND do some serious RESEARCH.

How in the world can people come on a Message Board and actually take the advice they get without RESEARCHING it for themselves. You gotta do YOUR Homework if You want to Change Your Condition.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and supplements don't "cancel each other out", but you may not want to take them all at once so that your body has a better chance of absorbing them completely. For example, my multivitamin has me take two pills per day, so I take one in the morning and one before bed.

Ditto!!!

I take ones at 8am, and one at 2pm. Your body will get rid of the vitamins it does not need. That is a good problem yo have.
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The only thing that could affect you is if you are taking any prescription drugs, I just saw on Dr. Oz that there are certain prescriptions you shouldn't take at the same time as vitamins/suppliments.
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't know either, but I would love to see the answer, since I'm taking most of those myself!
  • agirlandhergame
    agirlandhergame Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am actually a nursing student (two more months)...and have taken nutrition. I know about the fat soluble vitamins, but I wanted to see what people thought about calcium and others preventing absorption of other vitamins. The whole supplement/vitamin thing started when I went to the doctor and she told me to take 800 IU of D a day. I got curious and started trying other ones. I like how I feel (love it actually), but wanted to see what other people thought about taking multiple supplements.
  • agirlandhergame
    agirlandhergame Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alainaroseg
    alainaroseg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You know I hear people say, "talk to Your Doctor" but many of them Do NOT have a clue about Nutrition. That is not what they are about, unless they take the time to study it. Doctors do not study Nutrition! I have even looked at Dr. Oz and that man has no clue about Obesity...that's not his area of expertise. Asking most Dr. about Nutrition is like asking a Chef or Trainer about Nutrition. Go to a Certified Nutritionist or Dietitian, AND do some serious RESEARCH.

How in the world can people come on a Message Board and actually take the advice they get without RESEARCHING it for themselves. You gotta do YOUR Homework if You want to Change Your Condition.

So true.
    I've heard it to be most helpful to ask your pharmacist's advice. (Most) know about what is too little, too much or just right, and like someone else mentioned - vitamins can effect some prescription medication, and a pharmacist would know that as well. (A doctor should know what effects the medicine they prescriped, too, obviously.) :flowerforyou: