Protein for a vegetarian diet

Options
Hey guys and gals!

I am trying to do a high fiber vegetarian diet and I don't know what proteins to eat. I know nuts but what else would people suggest? Maybe tofu?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Beans
  • rav25
    rav25 Posts: 2
    Options
    lentils are usually a good protein supplement for veggies x
  • kbirk1963
    kbirk1963 Posts: 42
    Options
    beans are high in fiber and protein.
  • sociable15
    Options
    Lentils are high protein. So's quinoa.
  • amsw1275
    amsw1275 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Beans are both high fiber and a good source of protein. There's hummus, and you can add beans to quinoa for a salad (make a vinegrette, add some tomatoes and onions). Quinoa is a source of protein, as are avocados. If you are vegetarian, and not vegan, eggs are also a good source of protein.
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    tofu, beans and legumes, soya chunks, greek yogurt with flaxseed, high protein cereals (you can find these at low carb stores) - these are all good and healthy options, plus you can get veggie burgers like the Yves or Morningstar variety...
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt. Unless you are actually going Vegan. Then of course no animal product at all. But if you are just vegitarian then go for the greek yogurt. And peanut butter.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    beans, nuts, tofu, legumes, lentils, tempeh, wheat gluten, soymilk, rice protein powder,

if you eat eggs and dairy, then skim milk and eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is vegetarian friendly, but not vegan. Good way to get lots of protein.
  • Chavtastic
    Chavtastic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are eating complete proteins.
  • legalelliot
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts are a super-food you should consider - they have considerably high protein and fiber. Here is an excellent recipe on how to prepare them to make the delicious and nutritious - http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/roasted-brussels-sprouts/Detail.aspx

When people boil them, they don't taste as good and also loose a lot of their nutrients.

Hope you love them as much as I do.
  • syates83
    syates83 Posts: 87
    Options
    Be sure to take a B-12 supplement if your new to the vegetarian lifestyle. Stick with Beans, Lentils, Yogurt, low-fat cheese, nuts...but beware, not all are created equally. Read labels!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Tofu, tempeh, Fage 0% greek yogurt
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Alot of meat substitutes have high protein so check out Morningstar Farms, Boca, Yves, etc.
  • southtaski27
    Options
    beans, tofu, lentils
  • codyyde
    codyyde Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks everyone this is awesome!
  • MissKiera
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for nearly 2 years (though I will occasionally cheat for fish or seafood). That being said, I significanatly limit soy intake as I have found it seems to cause headaches and moodiness. There are several delicious high protein substitutes you can use. Take a look at Field Roast, Gardein, and Isopure.

Field Roast has several varieties of "sausage" with my personal favorites being the Chorizo and Apple. I love the chicken varieties of the Gardein Products, the cutlet makes terrific chicken parm or scallopini and my daughter begs to eat the nuggets. Both Field Roast and Gardein are readily available at Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage, and now my local grocery carries a limited selection of Gardein products. Isopure is a clear liquid whey protein with a version with zero carbs. My favorite flavors are passion fruit and mango peach, the easiest way to find is to order it online at GNC.

One final suggestion is to check out Tal Ronnen's Cookbook, "The Conscious Cook." He uses some gardein products as well as offering interesting and delicious recipes.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    Dark green veggies have a surprising amount of protein, too -- I was noticing there's a gram per cup in my spinach... Not bad for an unusual source.

Oh, and that complete protein stuff was debunked in the 70's. Just eat a variety of foods – beans, legumes, tofu, tempeh, seitan – and you'll be fine.
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love Quorn....it's high in protein, low in fat, and is a good substitute for meat for vegetarians like me who did like meat, but gave it up for moral reasons.

But I second everything else others have said....beans, nuts, green veggies etc.
  • schup21
    schup21 Posts: 2
    Options
    Spirulina, Nuts, Seeds, Spinach, quinoa is also good. Checkout VegetarianProteins.com. They are a site I buy from frequently. I find its best to have quick high protein snacks, bars, shakes, etc... If I have to spend a lot of time making it chances are I'm not going to do it.