Brussel Sprout recipe

Options
* 1 lb Brussels sprouts (3-4 cups shredded)- makes 3 servings

* 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt

* dash of red pepper flakes (optional)

* one small onion ( diced or dumped into food processor with sprouts)

* 1 tablespoon of oil ( I use Sesame, Sunflower or extra Virgin Olive)

~~~~~~~

- Trim ends and loose leaves off of sprouts. Cut (lengthwise) into thin shreds. Or if you are lazy like me, just dump into the food processor

- Heat oil in a wide sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add sprouts and toss with salt and red pepper.

- Sauté until sprouts are browned in places, about ten minutes.

approx Nutritional Value ( varies depends on what kind of oil used)

129 calories
7.5g fat
5.6g fiber
5.2g protein

Replies

• nancymmorris
    Options
    I have not been able to find a recipe for brussel sprouts that I like. Going to try this!!! Thank you for sharing this :smile:
  • vesnacsr
    vesnacsr Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a yummy recipe that I tried last week also. Just clean off the ends of the brussel sprouts, remove a few of the outer leaves. Then toss with about a tablespoon of olive oil, 2 1/2 tablespoons or so of balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. Roast on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. So tasty - even my kids love them.
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Another variation: Place the brussel sprouts, onions, some fresh finely chopped garlic , oil and sea salt in a dish and bake them until caramelized and lightly browned, then sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan. Delicious!!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Another variation:

1 lb of sprouts
    Trim sprouts, cut in half lengthwise

Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan

throw sprouts in stirring, to coat them with oil. they will pop a little so be careful.

add kosher sea salt and a little cracked pepper

after a few minutes, the sprouts will start to brown, add about 1/4-1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock and cover checking every few minutes to make sure they don't burn. If it looks like they might burn, add a little more stock.

After about 6-8 minutes, the sprouts should be fork tender but still have a little chew.

Remove from heat and serve with a little more salt to taste.

Love this. Instead of olive oil, you can cook up about 3 strips of nice bacon in the pot, remove bacon, add sprouts, cook as above, but chop up bacon and add it back in for the last couple of minutes to heat through. Delicious!! Not sure of the nutrtional info on the bacon cooked one, but I eat it pretty often, and it doesn't hinder my weight loss. :)