Emotional Eating

vlynnvale
vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
Does anyone else have this issue? This is a habit I've had a rough time trying to kick for years now, and it's usually why I use MFP for two months and then quit...and then use it for another two months and quit.

Suggestions??

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Find someone to talk to and vent with when you feel like quitting!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    If there is excess drama in your life, then dump it!!! You got this!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Log it not matter how much you eat. When I do this, cause it still happens, the number that Id weigh scares the bejebus out of me
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    I deal with this too as I find food so comforting and know there are literally thousands of others who do too. We are not alone! Suggestions would include keeping only healthy food available, brushing your teeth when in this mode, and/or chewing sugar free gum as a substitute or get out of the house and go for a walk instead. I realize these suggestions take a lot of willpower on their own to implement as this is a hard habit to break, so just take it one event at a time and try something new each time to at least stave it off! AND always seek professional help as an alternative too. Good luck to you on your journey.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Try smaller goals, like me, i've been doing great so far, i've made a 2 week goal of not overeating (or emotionally eating), no junk food (triggers) and no alcohol. I get something after two weeks (meal with friends with a drink). Figure what would work for you.

If caught in a moment of wanting to eat because of emotions, read a book, drink a big glass of water, go for a walk, put some music on, anything to divert your attention, do something you love and it will help.

That is what works for me, worth the try.
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    I think it's down to lack of willpower. Or you need to identify what makes you do this.
    If you logged what you ate when you have these "splurges", then it will only take a couple of times before you realise the calorie content of what you're eating!!
    I had a "splurge" when i first joined this in January, 9 tiny squares of white chocolate was 400 calories!!! I nearly cried!!! :sad: , plus i'd had pizza and jelly beans too. Needless to say i felt soooooo guilty the next day, and since then, i've been able to accommodate treats by simply exercising more or factoring them in by eating healthily the day before.
    There are ways, but you need the focus in the first place.
    Take care

Rich :drinker:
  • oboegirl
    oboegirl Posts: 22
    I saw a thing on the Today show yesterday about food addiction and I was like....OMG that is me.

Right now I'm really working on thinking o food as fuel, not as fun or a a way to pass the time. I really feel like there are some times when I'm like...."oooo...cookies." and I REALLY can't resist.

As far as emotional eating, I know I do it. Yesterday I was in the dining hall at school with a friend of mine who is on weight watchers and we were both in bad moods and we both had a bowl of ice cream. Just because we were mad.

It's hard, but it's something that I think takes time to break.
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    MFP needs to add a "like" feature to their message boards, lol.

Especially now that it's getting warmer out, drinking a bottle of water and taking the dog for a long walk would be a better solution.

Thanks for the suggestions and support! Just one more reason as to why I should stick with MFP. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.