Bigger Breakfast???

jrlenig
jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
So I really don't eat much in the morning I do eat but not a lot. So I found this interesting "Recent research shows that a morning meal that's 400 to 500 calories helps you feel full and may make it easier to stick to your diet. The secret ingredient: approximately 200 calories of lean protein", this is from fitness magazine.com and an article on healthy breakfast options.
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/breakfast/no-more-excuses-breakfast-recipes-for-every-morning/?page=1

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    My breakfast is usually 80-150 calories =\ Guess I should look into this. Thanks!
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    My breakfast is usually around 200-250 calories a day and I'm fine with that and have stuck to eating well for 3 weeks now.

I usually have a packet of oatmeal and a glass of milk which usually fills me up for at least a few hours.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    I think this is correct. If I skip breakfast or eat a breakfast that's mostly carbs, I have much more trouble sticking to my food plan for the day than if I eat a larger protein based breakfast.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Breakfast is my biggest meal of the day, mainly because it's my favorite. I eat between 400-600 cals for breakfast. This morning I had a strawberry banana protein shake with coconut milk, whole wheat english muffin with all natural crunchy PB and 1/2 banana sliced and 3 egg whites. 60 grams of protein.
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    I usually eat 300-400 calories for breakfast and I definitely find that I have more energy and I'm less hungry. On the weekends when I have more time, I sometimes go up to 500 calories.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I agree wholeheartedly, I find that when I have a good protein filled breakfast, I can literally go like 5 hours without being hungry again...the whole day is better when I eat protein for breakfast! Add me as a friend if you'd like! I have some recipes I could share!
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    Good info! I was just wondering about this myself. My breakfast "were" low and by the end of the day , i'd be STARVING! Needless to say I will be revamping breakfast asap!
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    That seems like a LOT of calories to me, especially if your daily target is 1500 calories or less. I think I eat about the same for lunch/dinner regardless of weather my breakfast is 100 calories or 300. So boosting my breakfast ends up boosting my overall daily calories (unless it's the weekend and it's more of a brunch than breakfast).

Eating 1/3 of your daily calories for breakfast is too much for me, especially since most of my daily activity comes in the late afternoon/evening. I eat breakfast around 9 and lunch around 12:30am - and between breakfast and lunch I pretty much sit at my desk. I need a bigger lunch (400 calories) and a mid afternoon snack (200 calories) to get through my after-work workout (and dog walking, and shopping, etc), and then I'm hungry for a larger dinner (500 calories) to recover. So that leaves 300 calories or less for breakfast, which is perfect for me. I usually shoot for 200 and then add an after dinner snack instead.
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    I've had Greek yogurt, cut up banana and 1/4 cup of granola every day since January. 310 calories

Maybe I should look for something different... heh
  • jrlenig
    My breakfast is usually around 200-250 calories a day and I'm fine with that and have stuck to eating well for 3 weeks now.

I usually have a packet of oatmeal and a glass of milk which usually fills me up for at least a few hours.
    3 weeks is 3 weeks but I think they are talking more long term. We won't always be eating 1200-1500 calories one day we will all hit maintenance ( or hopefully)
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    I usually end up eating around 1600 calories (1200 net) because of exercise. I have the 300-400 for breakfast, and I don't have one big lunch. I have about 600-700 calories worth of small meals that eat throughout the day. I usually only have about 300-400 for dinner, and the rest is small snacks.
  • jrlenig
    Good info! I was just wondering about this myself. My breakfast "were" low and by the end of the day , i'd be STARVING! Needless to say I will be revamping breakfast asap!

I totally agree, I eat lower cal breakfasts and by dinner time I am starving, tomorrow I am giving this a shot!
  • That would make really good sense. I guess it just depends on how many calories MFP sayd you should stick to on a daily basis. My goal is 1590/day. So I spread my meals over 4-5 meals @ 3-400 calories each. I "trick myself"into thinking I'm eating just as much food as before, but i swap out my usuals for low calorie foods. It's been working out great so far. Hope I can keep this up
  • gottabekd
    gottabekd Posts: 46 Member
    I've been thinking about this - my breakfasts are really on the low end (200 calories typically) and I feel like I need to eat more- especially protein. Are protein shakes a good way to do this? I am not a morning person at all, I need something quick and easy.
  • jrlenig
    I have done protein shakes before, they really do fill you up and I would say if you are not a breakfast person that might be the way to go, they don't work for me unless at lunch time, b/c I need to put something in my mouth kind of gal( food people!)
This discussion has been closed.