Hot Apple Cider vs. Hot Chocolate

Options
Phoenix_Rising
Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
Which is better----
-- tasting?
-- for you?
-- more appropriate for tree cutting?

I told the hubby I wanted to go up to the mountains this year (where we went to college, about an 1.5 hr drive) to cut a live Christmas tree. I told him we'd take a thermos of hot apple cider. He balked at the thought of apple cider and said hot chocolate was a much better choice.

Whaddya think?:huh:

230_051011_5365_0333_asls.jpgORhot-chocolate-su-1571510-x.jpg

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Which is better----
    -- tasting?
    -- for you?

I told the hubby I wanted to go up to the mountains this year (where we went to college, about an 1.5 hr drive) to cut a live Christmas tree. I told him we'd take a thermos of hot apple cider. He balked at the thought of apple cider and said hot chocolate was a much better choice.

230_051011_5365_0333_asls.jpgORhot-chocolate-su-1571510-x.jpg
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Which is better----
    -- tasting?
    -- for you?

I haven;'t heard of apple cider, but hot chocolate sounds much more appealing :blushing: You can get low-fat alternatives - I love options hot chocolate :wink:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Why not have both? :laugh: I like to spike my apple cider with a touch of dark rum..... Make sure one of you is DD and hubby can stick to the hot chocolate!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I always spike my hot chocolate with butterscotch shnapps...yummy! You probably don't have to be too worried about calories...you will be doing a lot of walking around and it's hard work to cut down a tree!! I personally think that apple cider might quench your thirst better than hot chocolate, but I think either one is great! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I vote cider.

Once hot chocolate gets cold it's icky. :tongue:

Have fun!
  • bethany169
    Options
    Definitely hot apple cider, with cinnamon-sugar donuts!! Yum-o!! Can I come tree-cutting with you? LOL

As far as healthier, I would say the apple cider--it's fat free and has the apple nutrients (as long as it's cloudy cider and not filtered juice). Although if the hot chocolate is made with milk, it's got calcium, etc. Maybe you should just take a thermos of each :)
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I vote cider.

Once hot chocolate gets cold it's icky. :tongue:

Have fun!

Erm, very true :sick: I was thinkign of drinking it hot :blushing: :embarassed:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    If we're spiking things, why not take both & spike the hot cocoa with kaluah? THAT will warm you up. LOL Geeze...people are going to start thinking I'm a drunk on here! HA!
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I just hit the legal drinking age a little while back. So I'm carefully paying attention to what can be spiked with what:laugh:
  • msblondy16
    Options
    That sounds so fun! Actually, if you compare the two calorie-wise they are about the same if you are using nonfat milk. For instance, a tall hot chocolate from starbucks - no whip - has 192 calories while the steamed apple juice has 170. And if you get their version of apple cider - no whip - it's a whopping 240 calories for a tall!! All the sugar in the apple cider really, really adds up! I personally loooooooove hot apple cider. But do what you want! Hey - do both and have a little of each! Happy drinking! :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Which is better----
    -- tasting?
    -- for you?

I haven;'t heard of apple cider, but hot chocolate sounds much more appealing :blushing: You can get low-fat alternatives - I love options hot chocolate :wink:

Cyber, honey get out there and search up a recipe or three! I :heart: hot apple cider! So good, so warm, so filling. We have it at Thanksgiving and Christmas at my in-laws.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I just hit the legal drinking age a little while back. So I'm carefully paying attention to what can be spiked with what:laugh:

:laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker: :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker: :laugh: :bigsmile: :drinker:

Happy Holidays to you!!!!:bigsmile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Ooohh! So true! My running joke with my husband is that as soon as I'm done nursing, he's going to have to be dd for all the holidays b/c I need alcohol to tolerate BOTH our families. LOL

We used to make hot apple cider with mullling spices at this farmers market I used to work at. It was sooo tasty & just had the perfect amount & type of seasoning. I don't remember who made it, though...it was in like a little milk carton type container.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    And years later, the debate continues! *teehee*

I say hot cocoa for tree cutting (hot mocha with mint is what we do for tree day), but cider should never be scoffed at...it just seems more of an Autumn flavour than a christmas tree celebration flavour.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I do both.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Another vote for both
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I love hot apple cider but for tree cutting I'd say hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. Yumb
  • LiftsNHeels
    LiftsNHeels Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Cider all the way
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Take both.

Then eggnog by the fire for when you get back. :P

Spike as appropriate.

Don't log it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Had some friends over the other night for Cigars. It was freezing outside. Was trying to throw a Hot drink together at the last minute with what I had on hand.

Had a 5 quart Pot. Added a container of Hot Buttered Rum mix, 2 Hot Chocolate Packets, 8 oz of Rum, 8 Oz of Irish Cream, 8 ounces of Jack Daniels then filled with water. Heated it up.

It was perfect.