help- want an HRM

mlemonroe2
mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I want an HRM to keep track of how many calories I am ACTUALLY burning. I am not sure if I should get one with the calorie counting function or if it is easy to count the calories based on your heart rate. Also,I don't have a lot of $ to spend. I was hoping to not spend more than $40. Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks!

Replies

• jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    check out overstock. I got mine from there but I bought the nice polar one for about 80. They had some others for much less
  • missie21
    missie21 Posts: 103 Member
    you may have to spend more than you plan... the best HRM are the ones that you enter age, weight, height, to ensure you get an accurate calorie burn.good luck !!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Polar is your best choice. Get one of the models that tracks your calories burned.
  • skillen
    skillen Posts: 8
    I got mine for 40 at Walmart ...seems to be working fine. The tip I was given is to get one for woman...The one I got asked me if I was male or female when I set it up. Also remember that when you weight changes you need to change it on the watch too to keep it accurate.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    The sad thing with HRM, is you get what you pay for and you might have to spend some more money to get one, I have a Polar FT7, paid about $80 for it.
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    I got a Polar FT4 @ REI for $90 & I LOVE it! I think this is one area that you need to splurge a little but it's worth it! Have you looked on ebay?
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Timex was voted/rated #1 with consumer reports. I have one with chest strap got it at Fred Meyer 2 yrs ago. Im VERY happy with it. I know there are other good ones, polar, garmin, etc. Im just going off personal exp and what consumer reports rated it AFTER I got it and it cost about 80$ I think:)
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    I have been there done that...spent $37 got what I paid for got my money back and got the Polar Ft4, love it, best $90 I ever every spent. do it, save up for it.
  • Polar is your best choice. Get one of the models that tracks your calories burned.

Agreed. I have the Polar FT4 and it was definitely worth the money! It tracks heart rate and then tells you how many calories burned. It's easy to use and totally accurate. I got it at Best Buy for $89.
  • xtina1982
    xtina1982 Posts: 37
    Mine's by new balance...I got it at target. Comes with the wrist band and chest band and all the bells and whistles.

Sadly, I don't think you're going to find much in your price range; I looked and looked and couldn't get anything that did what I wanted it to do under $50, and even when I was at the store I realized that wasn't what I needed and ended up getting the one with the chest band. it was painful to spend that much, but also pretty enlightening...turns out I was burning more cals than the estimates were figuring.

if you can save a little more and splurge on it, it's worthwhile.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    After a lot of research, I ended up getting the Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT!! Well worth the 90 bucks!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Looks like I'm going to have to break down and spend more $$! Now, who wants to tell my husband?? :bigsmile:
  • I just got one at walmart for $30 that counts calories...Sportline S7. works great
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    After tons of reading review I ended up spending more than originally wanted. I have the Polar FT4 and I'm completely satisfied!
  • saphire76
    saphire76 Posts: 102
    I was just coming on to post this exact question. lol guess I'll try to find a sale polar one seems to be the choice. I was just worried that it would just work on heart rate I don't want to have to figure stuff like that out. I just wanna put it on and when I'm done know what calories I have burned.
    Does Polar do this?

Thanks
    Heather
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Polars have the chest strap and the watch. You program your personal informaiton and then when you start your workout, press the start button. Stop it when done, and it will tell you your calories burned for the workout...
This discussion has been closed.