Frozen Dinners - Really that bad?

Options

Replies

• marsts
    marsts Posts: 85
    Options
    I relied very heavily on the frozen dinners to help myself learn portion control. My overeating was so extreme, and I just couldn't stop. If there was anything left in the pan, I had to have more. With the dinners, once it was gone, that was it. And I realized after a while, they are quite sufficient! Especially if you add more of your own veggies. They are high in sodium, but if you drink plenty of water, it all flushes out.

totally agree! i used to always have seconds at dinner nad still not feel fulfilled, but eating the dinners i get full easily and it's not like i want to go and grab another one and heat it up and everything just to eat it when ive already ate.
    i find it definately is helping with my portion control.
    even if they are high in sodium...i dont eat a lot of high in sodium foods so im good!
    theyre so handy, especially if your like me, living at home, and trying to keep track of your calories, and your parents make food but its too high in calories for you... and i cant cook at all, these save the day to switch out for dinner!
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My day starts at 5am and goes through 11pm at night, for a lunch it definitely gets me by and so do all the other snacks that I have incoporated into my day (veggies/frutis/carbs). Once the semester ends (next month) I can re-*kitten* my diet/ work out schedule since I'll have more free time. So be on the look out for my questions!!

But thanks for the feedback!! I'll take any opinions/suggestions I can take!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    everything in moderation!
  • sandollar1977
    sandollar1977 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I visited with a nutritionist a few months ago and she highly recommends AVOIDING frozen dinners if possible. They are full of sodium and preservatives. Whether you are wanting to lose weight or not, its best to eat healthy....when you just can't bring yourself to make something, then choose items with the fewest ingredients, keeping as natural as possible.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

But - look at your pic compared to mine, My BP is under control now, but when I was more overweight, it wasn't, and the sodium and MSG weren't helping. :D

Fair enough.
    There's nothing wrong with keeping sodium in check. It just seems like the second I see a food thread, theres instantly tons of people asking about sodium.
    I guess I'm fortunate to not have to track it currently. I can imagine it's hard keeping it low.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Way too many sodium answers.

If you're excercising, and drinking moderate amounts of water I don't think sodium should be much of an issue. It's not affecting your fat loss.

I'm way over on sodium daily, my BP is great, I have no water retention, and no ill effects.

I don"t watch my sodium because of fat loss, I watch it because I am trying to stay off of my high blood pressure meds and not die from congestive heart failure. I have a real problem with my body retaining water. I am sure there are others here that are on or was on blood pressure meds.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

But - look at your pic compared to mine, My BP is under control now, but when I was more overweight, it wasn't, and the sodium and MSG weren't helping. :D

Fair enough.
    There's nothing wrong with keeping sodium in check. It just seems like the second I see a food thread, theres instantly tons of people asking about sodium.
    I guess I'm fortunate to not have to track it currently. I can imagine it's hard keeping it low.

its an absolute ***** to get under 2,500. Losing the weight, exercise, and switching jobs seems to have really had an impact on my BP more than the sodium (as I still struggle every day to hit 2,500). I went from constant pre-hypertensive readings to my most recent - 106/79 at a recent Dr.s visit. Diastolic is on the edge, but MUCH lower than it used to be.

I do agree though that there is more to the healthfulness of processed foods than just sodium. They are never my first choice, but sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from the frozen meals, just becaus sodium is my trigger for migraines. So those aren't viable meal options for me.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i quite often have a weightwatchers frozen dinner if i dont have many calories for something big. i dont think theyre that high in sodium. Im usually well under on sodium most days
  • tracywba
    tracywba Posts: 21
    Options
    Have you tried having fish or other sea food??? A prawn stir fry takes 10 mins to cook. I know here in the UK most supermarkets sell pre-prepared fresh stir fry veggies. Not only is it a quick meal idea, it will be low in fat and void of a lot of the sodium and other additives in the frozen meal. And more importantly lower in calories.

White fish is low in calories and cooks in the oven in 10 mins, I tend to have steam fresh veggies that you cook in the microwave for 3 mins with it or a large mixed green leaf salad
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Way too many sodium answers.

If you're excercising, and drinking moderate amounts of water I don't think sodium should be much of an issue. It's not affecting your fat loss.

I'm way over on sodium daily, my BP is great, I have no water retention, and no ill effects.

I'm glad to hear this...not that I will completely forgo paying any attention to sodium but all the concerns over sodium have me obsessing over it...and I'm over it!! Staying balanced, drinking water, exercising...that's where I'm at! Thanks for this point.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    Double up when you do cook and then freeze the extra, this is what I do, and I always have something in the freezer for a lazy meal.
  • iverayna
    iverayna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    IF you drink your water and watch which other things you eat. If you are aware of the soduim fat fiber carb etc contet inside of a Lean Cuisine then you can make sure you dont get too much or too little of them in other foods you eat.. Nothing like a home cooked meal tho.....
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    Have you tried having fish or other sea food??? A prawn stir fry takes 10 mins to cook. I know here in the UK most supermarkets sell pre-prepared fresh stir fry veggies. Not only is it a quick meal idea, it will be low in fat and void of a lot of the sodium and other additives in the frozen meal. And more importantly lower in calories.

White fish is low in calories and cooks in the oven in 10 mins, I tend to have steam fresh veggies that you cook in the microwave for 3 mins with it or a large mixed green leaf salad

last time i made a stirfry it ended up being 700 cals and wasnt even that nice.
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try your local Organic foods market, read the labels, I can find brands that offer low sodium choices to serve in a pinch.
    Good Luck!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    After forming the habit of preparing food at home for the past few months, the only thing that really deters me from frozen meals is the taste. :laugh:
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Lke any other choice. Good in moderation. In a jam I eat one but never more than one everyday or so. If you have sodium issues like bp or headaches then you might want to steer clear but otherwise they are an ok choice.
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    AMEN to that!!!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i think it depends which one you choose tbh. Some are really bad choices, others are fine and fairly well balanced. You have to read the labels
  • kmal2t
    kmal2t Posts: 21
    Options
    It is so dificult with the food out there to not go over your daily allowance of sodium...but ya just dont eat a lot of them.

The biggest issue is ..salt ya..and it just being full of processed crap. If you see 1000 ingredients on there that you don't recognize or hydrogenated this or that don't get it...if it has 30 g of fat and 10 g of protein dont eat it

Some of the lean cuisine ones are bearable if you want some quick cals...the parmesean chicken or spaghetti and meatballs etc...just add a bunch of red pepper and parmesean cheese to em and its fine...