gas station food??

Options
ok, so usually i go home for lunch since i get an hour lunch at work and live close by, that way i eat healthy but today i have a meeting over lunch and the only thing close to where i work is a gas station. i am going to be STARVING if i don't get something to eat before work is over (especially because i have to run my son to karate right after work) so dinner is even later than usual. I have my water bottle with me and everything but i don't think i will make it on water alone. does anyone have any idea what you can get at a gas station that isn't completely bad for you? i know they have muffins and scones but those are over 400 calories each and probably won't fill me up for the rest of the day...any ideas???

Replies

• cfmusgrove
    cfmusgrove Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    get a pack of crackers- they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 calories
  • PghGal2011
    Options
    look and see if they have protein bars
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What about protein bars or fiber bars or a can of soup? I think they usually have a section with microwaveable food. It's not the best option but should get you through it.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    all those are great ideas....our gas stations here also have nuts and fruits...some even have refridgerator cases with yogurts, cheeses, etc.

good luck!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    yea peanut butter crackers would be a good idea. sometimes gas stations have some fruit too. a banana would be safe. even a cup of cereal too! goodluck!
  • ibiaboochie
    Options
    BEEF JERKY!!! Try to find the one with the lowest sodium but these are protein packed, have less sugars than most of the "protein bars", and leave me feeling full after a small portion. Sometimes they have turkey jerky as well.
  • rock810
    rock810 Posts: 17
    Options
    The Quicktrip around here has healthy meal sandwiches that are under 400 calories. Also, Taco Bell has a great Fresco menu. Two chicken Burritos Fresco is 300 calories total which is not too bad. Or just go grab a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo from one of the fast food joints.
  • donthatethesexyme
    Options
    i work at a gas station so i know all about your delimma... i try to get a protein bar or a fiber 1 bar or something in the granola bar family. they work for me for several reasons... when im dying for something sweet... they are sweet but not gonna destroy my days worth of work. they can be filling especially if you do choose the protein bar. im not getting enough fiber so that usually helps me on my fiber intake... good luck finding something you can tolerate and actually like...
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i eat gas station food all the time! they have cheese sticks, nuts, pork skins ( 0 g of carbs!!), and sometime ill get a hot dog without the bun. they really arent that bad for you. oh and some also have pre made salads and apples with caramel.
  • tracywba
    tracywba Posts: 21
    Options
    How about you make a sandwich the night before and take it with you in the morning, then you will a) know how many calories you will be eating and b) you won't be tempted into anything detrimental to your diet.
  • ftinch
    ftinch Posts: 1
    Options
    if nothing else you can always drink vitamin water with malt peanut butter cookies. it gives you both the vitamins and protein you need to function plus the protein in the cookies give you the fuel you need thats what protein do for you.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    My go to at the gas station is beef jerkey and sunflower seeds.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i eat gas station food all the time! they have cheese sticks, nuts, pork skins ( 0 g of carbs!!), and sometime ill get a hot dog without the bun. they really arent that bad for you. oh and some also have pre made salads and apples with caramel.
    Pork skins and hot dogs arent bad for you???? :huh:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    beef jerky.
    yougurt.
    cereal bar.
    protein bar.
    muscle milk.
    skim milk.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The ones around here have lots of options. Yogurt, cheese sticks, granola, fruit, protein bars, almonds. Great to think about it before you get there!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    beef jerky.
    yougurt.
    cereal bar.
    protein bar.
    muscle milk.
    skim milk.

I was just about to suggest the same damn things.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Ah, so that is what I have been doing wrong. ROFL :bigsmile:
  • BrodiesMom2008
    Options
    Thank you everyone! That helped a lot :) I ended up grabbing a protein bar thingy, very yummy and filling and didn't ruin my calories for the day :)

I think we have a sad gas station, no fruit or sandwich options!

And whoever said I should pack a lunch the day before, I usually do or I plan to go home but I had a last minute meeting come up and had to go for plan b, the gas station next to where i work! (we're on a highway so there's nothing else nearby)

Thanks again!
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options

not if you are on a low carb regimen. they are both high in protein. i eat them at least three times a week and i am losing weight.
  • perripage
    perripage Posts: 7 Member
    Options

not if you are on a low carb regimen. they are both high in protein. i eat them at least three times a week and i am losing weight.

Low carbs & caloric intake is the key to weight loss. So yes, pork rinds are a MUCH better snack than foods you have been conditioned to think are "healthier" that are higher in carbohydrates/ sugars/ starches. I recommend the movie "Fat Head" to anyone and everyone trying to lose weight! It will change your life!