I have 100+ to lose...

Options
and feel like I can NOT eat my exercise calories and still keep my metabolism running. I have dropped 25 pounds in 3 weeks. A lot of that was week one "water" weight and I have an athletic build from years of football and weights and have typically burned calories quickly when I was focused. I know this is one of the biggest debate topics around here so I wanted to get others' takes on my particular situation.

While watching Biggest Loser and reading some other articles I have "learned" that carrying a large calorie deficit (within reason) is ok when you have a lot to lose. Much like Courtney in the beginning of the show. Her trainer stated that a larger calorie deficit worked earlier because of her larger amount to lose but as she closed in on her ideal weight she needed to change the program to reflect more of what we talk about here in terms of "eating exercise calories".

I feel like at some point I'm going to have to get used to eating around 1500 calories so I might as well start training my body and brain now. Am I wrong? If so how wrong am I? Like I said I have an athletic and muscular build and am doing some weights now and plan on amping up the workouts as I get back into "playing shape". TIA

Replies

• RocketsGirl75
    Options
    I too have over 100+ (240 actually) and I feel the same way. I try to eat 1850 because that is my goal weight and I have read that you should eat 10xs your goal weight. That means that I don't eat back my workout calories! I am becoming more conscious of the 1200 calorie net but I am not sweating that as much....maybe it is wrong but it is working for me.... Good luck to you on your journey!!

:smile:
  • le07
    le07 Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually asked a gym instructor the same question today. She advised me to not eat the extra calories. good luck!
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    the more weight you loose the lower your bmr will be so eating back those exercise calories wont be as hard. Recently I discovered I wasnt eating enough most days going well over 1000 below my maintenance (bmr+exercise) I brought it back up to less than the 1000 cal deficit and just after a few days dropped another 4 pounds. 14 down and over 100 to go. Now I do believe that an occasional day here and there that is too low or too high is perfectly fine...and actually good to help trick your body into not getting "comfortable".
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Just want to preface this by saying my background is in Human Resources not Nutrition, and am only speaking from my own experience.

I wouldn't focus on doing something now that is an eventual goal/milestone/guideline, but rather on what you have to do to get to that point.

Also, I found when I didn't change things up with both my food choices and exercising my body got used to the status quo and didn't change, which was very frustrating until I figured it out and varied things accordingly.

Good Luck!
  • gilgamish123
    Options
    IM new here- what does it mean eating the extra calories?
  • ibiaboochie
    Options
    When you add in exercise it gives you "negative" calories that you are supposed to eat back to keep your net to a specific number. It's part of the MFP program/calculations.
  • gilgamish123
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks by barely eating at all- then the weight loss slowed down- Ive been eating more now because I am doing weight training at LA FItness and the trainer says that we need to eat lean protein after exercising.
  • ibiaboochie
    Options
    Let me say that I am eating at least 15-1600 calories a day, most getting closer to 1800. I have been walking for an hour about 3-4 days a week at a very brisk pace but I don't eat my calories back. I am following MFP standards for Sugars, Sodium, etc. The only thing I'm not doing is eating back any exercise calories. My understanding is that because I am very over weight that I don't necessarily need to eat them back but as I get smaller and smaller it will become more important.