30day shred - my knees are killing me!

Options
So...I just moved on to level 2 of the 30 day shred, and my knees are killing me! Has this happened to anyone else? Should I keep moving forward or go back down to level 1? Maybe I should alternate level 1 and 2? Any suggestions?

Replies

• KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I too would love to know, Im starting the Shred next week with a girlfriend. I have one bad knee and she has 2 bad knees. Any tips or info we can get on the shred is great!
  • mssugarca
    mssugarca Posts: 75
    Options
    My knee's hurt too when I was doing the 30 day shred...someone suggested to me that I do backward lunges or squats instead of the pendulum (sp) lunges and forward lunges are harder on the knees.....maybe try modifyin the lunges and see if that helps.....but I definatly went through the same thing
  • momto2girls
    Options
    I would just make sure you form during the squats and lunges is good. If your knee is going over your toe that could be causing the pain in your knees. I hope that helps, its the only thing that comes to mind.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    My knees bothered me a bit when I did that dvd too. I switched my shoes, went from running shoes to my old cross trainers and it seemed to help. Running shoes are made for running movement, not side to side, or jumping. That is what helped me, good luck. I also like her DVD, "No Trouble Zones". It is about 50 min long, but it is a great workout. Good luck!!
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes, it too has taken a toll on my knees and shoulders but I love the results. I'm 7 days into level 2. I try to do it every other day or 2x a week. I really just listen to your body.
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I've been all the way through the Shred once, now I alternate the Shred and running. I think, for me, I just need to loose some weight which will take the stress off the ole knees a little bit!
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had to stop L2D7, my knees couldnt take it anymore. I made it through L1 with a lot of pain (and days off in between) but after that I decided to move on to something else.

I will try it again once I lose more weight, but if that doesnt help my knees then I will give it to someone who can benefit from it. :-)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I will be starting Level 2 this evening. So far no knee pains but that was level 1. I'll let you know what happens when I wake up tomorrow!!
  • BigTedd
    BigTedd Posts: 6
    Options
    You could try extending the warm up for a few minutes to see if that helps, I've always thought the warm ups on 30 day shred are not really enough for what follows...
  • Chyrita
    Chyrita Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have to stop the 30 day shred after 8 days. My knees were really hurting, my left knee actually had swelling and it still hurts. Maybe after I lose some weight I will try it again also. Or like you suggested, give it to someone who can benefit, without the knee pain. I'm fast walking 30 minutes a day and adding weight training. Good luck.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery about 9 years ago. I feel it in my knee's also. When doing level 1 Jillians had us do the knee exercise to warm up. I stop the dvd on level 2 and add it in. I also don't go down as far on the lunges. I have been doing this dvd every morning since Jan. 1st.

2639362.png
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the 1-star reviews on Amazon complain about the way 30DS affected or injured their knees. The exercises are done at a fast pace and if your form is not spot-on, you are at risk for injury, especially to the knees. My personal belief is that it is poor advice to do this workout every day for 30 days as she suggests. It’s risking overuse injuries.

Others have recommended that if you do want to stick to the 30-Day regimen, you can alternate through all the levels doing a different one each day. Since the exercises are different for each level, you are less likely to have the same strains as you would if you did the same exercise day-after-day. Although I use the DVD as a supplement to my other workouts, this is the approach I use.

But despite whatever she says about not modifying, it’s your workout. If the moves hurt (not cause discomfort, but hurt), you should modify them. And knees are nothing to play around with. If yours are hurting, you should definitely take a rest day (or two) until you feel better. If you resume and notice *any* discomfort in your knees, I would recommend finding a different workout.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yup, my knee started to bother me too, so I stopped. I want to start again and move on to level 2, but I dont want to have anymore more problems!
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    If the workout is messing up your knees, i suggest you do something else. I think i had to wear a knee brace for a few days while i was doing it. i stopped altogether and gave the dvd to someone. 30DS is not for everyone in my own opinion, and we need to find what works for us
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I completely agree that the warmups are not long enough. I haven't had any knee problems, but I started 30 Day Shred last Wednesday, and the first day I did something aweful to my calf. I could barely walk on it for the rest of the week, so I stayed away from that DVD until yesterday. Now I take extra time to warm up my legs, and while my calf still hurts, it doesn't feel like I've done any more damage.
  • kristyyoung
    kristyyoung Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the 1-star reviews on Amazon complain about the way 30DS affected or injured their knees. The exercises are done at a fast pace and if your form is not spot-on, you are at risk for injury, especially to the knees. My personal belief is that it is poor advice to do this workout every day for 30 days as she suggests. It’s risking overuse injuries.

Others have recommended that if you do want to stick to the 30-Day regimen, you can alternate through all the levels doing a different one each day. Since the exercises are different for each level, you are less likely to have the same strains as you would if you did the same exercise day-after-day. Although I use the DVD as a supplement to my other workouts, this is the approach I use.

But despite whatever she says about not modifying, it’s your workout. If the moves hurt (not cause discomfort, but hurt), you should modify them. And knees are nothing to play around with. If yours are hurting, you should definitely take a rest day (or two) until you feel better. If you resume and notice *any* discomfort in your knees, I would recommend finding a different workout.

Thanks for the feedback...this definitely helps!
  • kristyyoung
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am pretty happy with the results I've gotten thus far, so I don't want to quit. From everyone's suggestions, I think I'll do a few things:

Try different shoes
    Add to the warm up, including the knee circles from level one
    Alternate Levels each day
    Try some knee braces
    Take it easy on some of the exercises that might be causing the pain (the pedulum lunges, etc.)

Thanks again for the responses!
  • kristyyoung
    Options
    I would just make sure you form during the squats and lunges is good. If your knee is going over your toe that could be causing the pain in your knees. I hope that helps, its the only thing that comes to mind.

Thanks. I'll pay attention to this next time!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It hurt my knees too when I first started and I was already pretty fit. I ended up having to cut way back, go back to my regular working out and slowly start mixing Shred in. I eventually got stronger and by slowly working into it it no longer bothered my knees. My knees got stronger by not giving up and sticking with it. If I ever had any pain I backed off.

Do be sure to have your form right, have good shoes and drink lots of water too.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    When I first started it did. Probably for the first 10 days or so. I actually stopped wearing shoes and that helped. I made it through the 30DS and am now doing Ripped in 30. I actually like this one better.