How to eat my calories...

Options
So MFP gives us a calorie allowance everyday. It seems that a lot of people here try to eat those calories as healthy as possible which is absolutely wonderful. Although, does it really matter how you eat your calories as long as you stay under or around your goal? I can understand trying to watch your sodium because it retains water but other than that...what does it matter if I eat a pear which equal 86 calories or a chocolate chip granola bar for 90 calories or even a friuty pebble marshmallow treat for 90 calories? I really dont understand this...

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Technically, you can eat what you want as long as you meet your goals. But by eating sugary foods, you may have cravings for more, feel less full, run out of energy faster, and be unable to satisfy your nutritional requirements.

Additionally, if you retrain yourself to eat healthy foods, you can learn habits to prevent becoming overweight again. My goal is to never have to go through this again.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. However, it is how your body processes that calorie that can make a difference. If you eat fruity pebble treat, your blood sugar will spike faster and leave you hungry sooner compared to the pear. The pear is a different type of sugar and your body digests it differently. You won't have the quick rise and fall than you would with the other treats. I also find the more natural a food is, the more I end up losing. If I eat a lot of processed junk, my body doesn't seem to want to let go of the weight.
  • stephbrooks
    stephbrooks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As far as loosing weight, it does not matter! It DOES matter about the way that you feel, the energy you have to work out AND foods rich in fiber and whole grains will prolong your appetite! It will keep you full longer, so that you do not have urges to eat more. The rice crispy treat will not matter as far as calories, but it is what you call "empty calories" they will do nothing else for you as far as nutrition, energy and hunger. Hope that helps!
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What everyone has said is pretty on point. I just want to add that if you want to occasionally treat yourself to something like that than it is perfectly okay. This is supposed to be viewed as a lifestyle change and something you'll continue to work on even after you hit your goal. And the reality is that you'll encounter these foods but you need to learn what choice is better, the pear or the rice crispy treat?
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie but not all calories are the same, have the same nutrional value or are digested the same by your body or work well with your body. Protein will make you fuller longer and give you energy. Sugar and Carbs may give a burst of energy but you will get the fall and depression and eat more to get that High or Surge of energy again. Yes it is just like drugs.....

Eating healthy makes you feel better not just lose weight. The better you feel the better you will want to eat the better you eat the better you feel now that is the kind of cycle I prefer!
  • Casey1982
    Casey1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well said! The commenters are absolutely right. You can eat whatever you want, as long as you stay within your calories and technically still lose weight. That being said, it's harder to lose the weight, because you will often not get (or stay) full. So if you're craving a piece of chocolate every now and then, I say go for it! But I wouldn't make it a habit, because you will likely end up overeating at the end of the day. A turkey sandwhich on whole wheat bread is going to keep you full for longer than if you ate a small fast food cheeseburger. They could be the same amount of calories, but you are more likely to eat more if you go with the cheeseburger...simply because you will be hungry sooner. And junk food cravings beget junk food cravings for me. The more I eat, the more I want. :ohwell:
  • MrsChristinaG
    Options
    I strongly suggest eating them as healthy as possible because you then get to eat more (in volume) of food, than you would eating high calorie foods. You will feel full all day and be less prone to "cheating" lol.

i think it's great that way. I'm used to having Large meals, so making them, "large" healthy meals works for me, i dont feel like i'm starving, and i still get to lose the weight. win-win
  • lisam724
    lisam724 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing ! thanks for posting !
  • blynnarnold
    blynnarnold Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    These comments make a lot of sense. I definitely understand more now. I have another scenario then. There is a new post about someone who is making battered fish for dinner tonight and didn't want to make rice as a side because it's another carb but then someone suggested making red potatoes which is another carb...what is the difference?
  • blynnarnold
    blynnarnold Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Technically, you can eat what you want as long as you meet your goals. But by eating sugary foods, you may have cravings for more, feel less full, run out of energy faster, and be unable to satisfy your nutritional requirements.

Additionally, if you retrain yourself to eat healthy foods, you can learn habits to prevent becoming overweight again. My goal is to never have to go through this again.

These comments make a lot of sense. I definitely understand more now. I have another scenario then. There is a new post about someone who is making battered fish for dinner tonight and didn't want to make rice as a side because it's another carb but then someone suggested making red potatoes which is another carb...what is the difference?
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    There is a new post about someone who is making battered fish for dinner tonight and didn't want to make rice as a side because it's another carb but then someone suggested making red potatoes which is another carb...what is the difference?

It's a good question and it's important to remember that just because someone makes a suggestion doesn't mean that it's nutritionally wise. In my experience there is very little difference between rice and potatoes as far as nutritional value goes, but maybe there's something I'm missing.
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    BIG DIFFERENCE....DO YOU WANT TO EAT EMPTY PROCESSED CALORIES OR HEALTHY UNPROCESSED CALORIES. ITS ABOUT LOOKING AT INGREDIENT LISTS AND IF I CAN'T READ/ PRONOUNCE THE ITEMS, FOOD COLORINGS, AND THE LIST IS VAST...MOST LIKELY ITS PROCESSED AND UNHEALTHY. MOST ITEMS IN MY DIARY ARE MINIMAL INGREDIENTS AND THINGS I RECOGNIZE...LOL.. EAT CLEAN...THIS IS NOT A DIET BECAUSE DIETS DON'T WORK...ITS ABOUT LEARNING THAT THE CLEANER, LESS PROCESSED FOODS ARE BETTER..... :) ITS LIFE CHANGING...I'M LEARNING SOOOOOOOO MUCH!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options

LOL, haven't a clue on that one, I eat both just small amounts. I made a pot of chicken stew today and cubed one red potato for the whole pot. Rice I eat a serving and that is it, also have switched to whole grain brown rice because white rice is bleached to get it to be white rice.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I think some food are better fat burners. I do low carb and eat as little sugar as possible. I had that same feeling, I thought as long as I ate my calorie limit, it shouldn't matter. But when I cleaned it up is when I started losing weight. I am losing about 4-5 pounds a week by knocking out sugar, lowering carbs and working out 3-4 times a week. Your body will be healthier if your calories are healthier. You will have less hunger, you will actually be able to eat more because the foods are lower in calories. But in theory, just counting the carbs should work. But its not just about staying under the calories, but also achieving a healthier life style.
  • WeatherGurl1129
    WeatherGurl1129 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to say, "Don't count the calories, make the calories count!"

There's more to what you eat than just calories. There's vitamins, fiber, and probably a whole bunch of other stuff that we don't even know about yet that is good/bad for our bodies. I try to make sure at least 90% of my calories are from good sources like veggies, dairy, and lean meat. And if I have enough calories at the end of the day after I've eaten my dinner, I will indulge in an ice cream sandwich or a beer. I think if we only counted calories without considering the nutritional value, we'd been a bunch of skinny, zombie-like people with no energy. :frown:
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Your macros are important.
    carbs/protein/fat

but if it fits your macros, technically you can eat it.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. so does that mean if i stay just under the daily calorie goal, just under carb goal and just under fat goal i should be doing good right? I mean, the other day, like yesterday i had eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner and still somehow had like 500 calories left over so i went to eat french fries which still put me under the daily calorie goal, but also still under fat and carb goal.. that should work?

I only just started, so i don't see any effects yet of what i'm doing, trying to figure out if i'm doing it right and this is a very useful topic.
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    All good points. Habits, habits, habits. That is what is important. That being said I just ate 2 squares of dark chocolate instead of the apple I know I should have had but moderation is part of habit.
  • angmora
    angmora Posts: 22
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying, counting your calories is what helps you loose. I am a good example of what you are asking. I eat ok, but I do have chocolate almost daily. But as I have gotten more fit I appreciate eating healthier for a few benefits. I like to munch, and I can snack more if I eat healthier. And since I have been working HARD to get rid of my extra pounds I feel more positive when I eat better. I just feel like it is part of the equation. You don't have to go nuts about it, I do things like an apple with a meal so I'm full, or crackers instead of doritos. I also allow myself what I want so I don't binge~just reduced portion. Like a small ice cream instead of a sunday. A tall Starbucks instead of grande..... you get the picture. Funny though now that I feel so much better I don't always want the junk food I used to drool over. But I figure if I have a day where I ate too many junk food calories I make it up the next day or so with more fresh fruits, veggies, and lean meats. I feel I eat a balanced diet... just not always in the same day.... but my week looks pretty good. One thing that has helped me curb my sugar intake has been having protein snacks. I keep deli sliced cheese around so I have something quick!!

I like the saying "eat to live don't live to eat":happy: