What are your best snacks for that time between end of work

Options
When I get home from work, I am always searching for a small snack to tie me over until it's time for dinner. What are some of your favorite things to keep in the house for those moments?

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    string cheese or frozen grapes =)
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    either dippin stix or 100 calorie snacks.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have no solution to this issue -- it is one I also face. I'll be interested to hear what others suggest.

At present, I do yogurt, but that only barely holds me while I cook dinner for everyone else.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    pickles! :)

it used to be nachos...
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hummus and triscuits, or baby carrots!
  • jennywooo
    Options
    I love the 94% FF popcorn. I pretty much eat one big bag every day. I also eat sugar free jello with FF Redi Whip everyday for the sweet cravings.
  • mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    An apple - all that fiber keeps me full!
  • MistyNoble1987
    Options
    Here are my top favorites:

~ 4 ounces of baby carrots and two tablespoons of fat free Ranch dressing. I find that the carrots are harder to chew, so that prevents me from eating them too fast. Also, 4 ounces is a TON of baby carrots (I’ve found between 20 and 30). With them being so small, they also keep me munchin for an hour and let me brain register that I’ve eaten.

~ Athenos Greek Yogurt doubles – they have these in different flavors at the grocery store. They’re only 100 calories – the yogurt by itself is really bitter and tastes like you’re eating sour cream, but mix it with whatever comes with it (I get the honey ones – yum!) and they’re delicious.

~ Mrs Freshelys granola bars – okay, get this – I found this one AT THE DOLLAR STORE!!! Generic Nutrigrain bars! I saw them in blueberry, strawberry, and apple cinnamon. Whole grain oats, and fruit filling. Comes in a box of six for a dollar – and 100 calories each!!!!

~ Fruit snacks – this one surprised me. The Great Value (Wal-Mart) brand gummy fruit snacks like you put in your kids lunch boxes are 100 calories a pack! I got a pack of, like, 35 for four bucks. Gives you the right amount of sweet, and allows you feel like you’re cheating when you’re not.

Good luck to you!

~Misty
  • Rebeccamoore
    Rebeccamoore Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always find that the hardest time too! I call it the 4 o'clock slump!!!
    Try low cal cereal bars, dried apricots and nuts, yogurt, a piece of fruit or I'll tell you what I had yesterday, I made a strawberry smoothie with frozen strawberries, natural yogurt and semi skimmed milk!
    Let me know what snacks you come up with and good luck!
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I just have either a serving of crispy minis, some yogurt and fruit, celery and peanut butter, multigrain crackers and light laughing cow cheese... really anything I have hanging around at home!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake when I get home before I cook dinner.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My PM Snack is usually an apple and a couple tablespoons of peanut butter. I usually have that around 2/3pm, I leave work @ 5'ish and we usually eat by 6:30pm (roughly).
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    Laughing cow light cheese wedges with stoned wheat crackers from whole foods (20 crackers is like 130 calories) or any light crackers. I also love rice seaweed crackers (also at whole foods) and very light in calories.

Hummus and Carrot sticks

Fruit
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    HUGE issue for me too! I usually much on some cut up veggies (carrots, celery, cucumbers, snap peas, etc.) or Cheerios to tide me over.
  • IdaBetances
    IdaBetances Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    sugar free pudding, wheat crackers, yogurt
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    I would personally snack on maybe.....
    raw carrots 35 calories for 3 oz.
    special k bar (filling) 90 calories
    laughing cow light (35 calories)
    cantaloupe 1 cup diced up
    strawberries 1 cup

LOL.....not all at one time though.....these are suggestions...lol
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll drink a glass of wine while I cook dinner. It's a nice way to unwind from work and still keep me plenty hungry for dinner. :smile:
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I like all the snacks listed here, plus bell pepper strips with hummus, or roasted chick peas.

For emergency snacking, I cut up a Clif Builder Bar into about 10 pieces and put it in a ziplock bag and carry it in my purse. If I'm delayed in my schedule I find a few bites can tide me over for an hour and I don't feel like I've blown it. If I'm going to miss a meal, a whole bar can get me through a few hours.

Normally, I like real food and advocate eating real, as whole as possible food, but we don't always get to control our circumstances and it's nice to have something that is quick at hand even when you're away from home.
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I eat a Kelloggs Fiber Plus bar almost everyday about 4pm. I don't usually get to eat dinner until 7 or 7:30 and the bar holds me with no problem.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    A hard boiled egg.
    Kashi granola bar.
    Carrots and hummus.
    Clementine.
    100 bag of popcorn.
    Berries.
    String Cheese.
    1 tbsp of peanut butter or chocolate hazelnut butter (Justins)
    Apple
    Celery
    Broccoli