Why does my weight fluctuate so much? Help please :)

Options
I know that I am only suppose to weight myself once a week so, yes I have been naughty and am trying to fight my addiction of doing it 5+ times a day. Starting this week I will only be weighing myself on Friday( the new weigh-in day). I'm still wondering though why my weight fluctuates so much. For example one day it will be 157 and by night it would be all the way back up to 162. The next morning was 159 and night 163. I am following my 1200 calorie plan and walk almost every day. I just don't understand how I'm ever going to get to my goal weight when it seems to be jumping so much from day to day. Help please! Thanks :)

Replies

• Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    It's most likely just water weight. When it's lower you may be dehydrated and when it's higher you are probably retaining water from salty foods. Also, if you are eating carbs at night your weight is usually higher in the morning. Stick to very low carb high protein dinners, and don't eat too late. Drink lots of water to reduce bloating :)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You digest your food all night, so in the morning, you weigh the least. At night you are full of food and water. If you are eating salty things, your body will retain MORE water too.

Your body can fluctuate up to 10 pounds in water weight alone.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    That's why we suggest only weighing in the morning, since it's the most consistent.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I really think it has to be just about fluids and "bulk" in the intestine. Because fat wouldn't be that kind of fluctuation!

As you continue to lose weight and your body gets used to all the new diet and exercise, you will see steady loss, but perhaps will still have fluctuation. I think it is natural.

Just have confidence, you are doing the right things. give it some time.

:smile:
  • KaseyWB
    KaseyWB Posts: 15
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate as much as 2-3 pounds in the same day because of food and liquid intake and bathroom activity. That is why you should not weigh every day or you will be on the weight roller coaster with the ups and downs. Once a week is plenty. Although I am always tempted the night before to get on the scale to see if I have lost anything before my weigh in day.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can't compare your weight from different times in the day. Remember - what you put into your body (food, water) has mass, and your weight will fluctuate accordingly. Especially if you are hydrating the way you should be (half your body weight in ounces every day). An accurate weigh in not only has to be once a week, but around the same time of day, and in similar clothing. Water is one of the most dense substances, and our bodies are 70% water. Eating too much salt can make you retain water, being constipated can make the scale go up - a bazillion different things. My doctor said our weight fluctuates between 3-7lbs on a daily basis. The only way to really "tell" if what you are doing is working is by the long haul. And by taking your measurements. There are times when the scale won't budge, but you still drop inches. Hang in there!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Water. Your body holds onto it differently depending on activity levels and the things you've eaten...as much as 5-6 pounds worth at any given time! Crazy, right? The day I started here I gained 6 lbs overnight and it took me about a week to get it off because I had *just* started working out like crazy and had all kinds of swelling.

TOM does this, too. So can allergies (yes, you can just *smell* certain kinds of foods and gain weight I suppose - if they cause an allergic reaction ;-D ).

Don't take it to heart and don't beat yourself up for peeking at the scale throughout the day - it *is* pretty fascinating stuff. If you just keep doing the program and not giving up you'll see that it's only temporary and you'll be able to laugh at it.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you are stressing so much about these daily fluctuations you are a person that needs to stay away from the scale except for a regular weigh in at the same time, same day, whatever.

Everything you are describing is perfectly natural. You eat food during the day, it weighs something until it is digested. Your weight is never going to stay the same throughout the day and night.

Relax, you'll do a lot better than making yourself crazy over something that doesn't matter at all.
  • remmrich33
    remmrich33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this happens, but it happens to me too. The only thing I can think of is it may be water weight. I know my body tends to retain a lot of water so if you think that might be the problem try drinking lots of water. It seems counterproductive to drink more water to lose water but our bodies retain water when they "think" they are not getting enough, they start to store it in case of a drought. So the more water you drink, the more weight (in water) you should lose. Hope this helps and know that you are not the only one who has this problem with the fluctuating weight! And I weigh myself compulsively too! ha ha! I'm trying to be better about it though... lol
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Your weight isn't jumping that much from 24 hour period to 24 hour period. The problem is you are weighing yourself in the morning and then again at night.

You weigh more at night because you've eaten all day and that food is not digested and pooped out. When you wake up in the morning, you have been digesting food all night and then you pee out what's turned to liquid and (maybe) you poop out the solid waste and then you are the lowest weight you can possibly be. Then you eat and drink all day and only pee (and maybe poop) out some of it and you are the highest weight you can possibly be.

In addition, your body will retain and release water from day to day based on what you do that day. One day you top off your glycogen stores in your muscles and that causes an extra 4 pounds to be stored. The next day you may use up all your glycogen and that means you release the water. Certain times of the month, you may retain water because of your cycles.

Therefore, it's useless to weigh yourself more than once a day. If you weigh yourself in the morning and you weigh 160 and then you take a dump and weigh 158, its' not like you lost any true weight. It's the same if you weigh yourself and then drink a galloon of water. You'll find your weight to be higher until you pee that water out. But you haven't gained body fat, muscles or bone density. So you haven't changed anything you care about changing.

You need to weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions every time. That cuts down on some of this noise. Then, you look for trends. If your weight every morning fluctuates by 4 pound (as mine does), what you look for is that, over time, you never go over your highest weight and you start to go under your lowest weight. That means you are losing. If you weigh once a week, you should almost always see a drop if you are truly losing.

When you weigh every week instead of multiple times a day, you should see a steady downward trend.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I needed to hear this! :) Like I said my new goal is to only weigh myself every Friday and that is it. I'm hoping by doing this I won't get discouraged and I will start seeing some real results.
  • Kldouville
    Kldouville Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear this too
  • Aprileson
    Aprileson Posts: 3
    Options
    i feel your pain honey!
  • aileenanderson17
    Options
    This is the most frustrating thing to me too. I had a tough weekend and even though I ate more than my 1200 calories, I tracked them all. Over the weekend I ate about 2300 calories more than the amount I need to eat to maintain my weight. So...I deserved to gain about 3/4 of a pound and I was ok with that. I started right back on 1200 calories again on Monday and today I am still weighing almost a whole pound more than I did last Friday. I keep telling myself that it will even out, but it is the most discouraging feeling in the world. My net calories over the last 7 days should have definitely seen me lose at least 1 pound. :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    google is your friend. NATURAL body weight fluctuations are typically in the 2-5 Lbs range day to day...best to get your brain around that, otherwise maintenance is going to be a real ***** for you. I'm maintaining for the last 5 months or so and I fluctuate between 178 and 183 throughout any given week...it's normal...

Think about it...you have food coming in and fluids coming in...yeah...when you eat 8 oz of something, you just ate 1/2 Lb of something...do you think that weight just magically goes away because you chewed it and it went into your belly? Then you have the post - digestive waste product...that also weighs something...then you have a constant cycle of water retention and release. Water retention can be exacerbated by having a high level of sodium, hormonal imbalances, working out, dehydration, etc...

Take a longer view...this isn't about days and weeks...it's about months and years and the rest of your life...get out of the minutia and start taking in the bigger picture.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Water weight and sodium intake usually cause it to fluctuate. I always weigh myself once a week on Saturday morning when I first wake up and after using the bathroom. Otherwise weighing yourself even once a week at night could be off due to your water/salt intake during the day before you weighed yourself.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up on weighing yourself multiple times a day or even daily. It takes time to lose weight, and if you see the number jump up that's just more opportunities to get frustrated and possibly get off of your plan that is probably already working for you as it is.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that you wouldn't step on the scale while holding your dinner plate, right? You would get a higher reading because of everything you're holding in your hands. Same thing when you weigh yourself after eating throughout the day. You're still holding the food, it's just inside of you now.