Over daily goal for protein...

Options
Hey guys - I'm usually over my daily goal for protein; sometimes even before dinner comes around. Is this is a bad thing or something that will prevent me from losing the fat?
Here is an exemple of today. My daily goal is 45 and I'm at 46 already. That is from eggs/egg whites and turkey for breakfast. Chicken and whole grain penne for lunch.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,
~Jac

Replies

• ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    I love going over on protein..feed those muscles baby :)
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have heard that in order to lose body fat % you want to up protein. I'm shooting for 100g of protein a day since i weigh 119....hope that helps!
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    I am never worried about being over in protein. I usually am before dinner too and I have a protein bar before bed. So I go over by a lot. You can adjust the percentages that you have, you can lower your carbs and up your protein.
  • jsharp29
    jsharp29 Posts: 7
    Options
    I almost always go over and am still losing weight.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Hey guys - I'm usually over my daily goal for protein; sometimes even before dinner comes around. Is this is a bad thing or something that will prevent me from losing the fat?
    Here is an exemple of today. My daily goal is 45 and I'm at 46 already. That is from eggs/egg whites and turkey for breakfast. Chicken and whole grain penne for lunch.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,
    ~Jac

only 46g? You'll be fine. Right now I'm striving for 147g. If you are doing any kind of weight lifting then you will definitely want more protein. (My carb/pro/fat percentages were at 40/35/25 but I have just switched to 40/40/20 (2nd phase of P90X)).
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any reason to worry about it.

The default percentages in MFP is 50% carb, 20% protein, and 30% fat. Personally, I think that the percentage of carbs is way too high, and the percentage of protein is way too low, but I am not a doctor. I am trying to keep to low carb, as I feel I'm at risk for diabetes, so I reset my percentages to 20/50/30. I never reach the protein number,though. Several of my friends are doing 30/40/30, and we are all losing weight.

It is kind of hard to find wherento change your percentage, and as I am not a doctor, it is inappropriate for me to recommend you changing yours, but just for your knowledge, if you wanted to change percentages, that is done by...

1) "My Home" tab
    2) "Goals" sub-tab
    3) "Change Goals" button at bottom.
    4) "Custom" selection
    5) the percentages are in the first group.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with going over on protein. Many people will customize their own goals for specific nutrients because MFP just gives a basic estimated intake for those who aren't familiar with nutrient intake specific to their goals just yet. That said, lean protein helps to gain lean muscle mass, repair muscles after strenuous workouts, and keeps you fuller longer. Coupled with an increased fiber intake, you should be fairly satisfied between meals throughout the day.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have done A LOT of research on this. According to all my sources (doctors, health consults, books, etc) its good to eat one gram of protein for every pound you weigh.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The RDA's for protein are too low anyways.

Enjoy it and go lift something heavy! :drinker:
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I too, recently noticed i was going over my protein threshold. Will even try to increase that now that i have seen this. Its so hard to restrict carbs......
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I aim for my body weight in protein everyday. Some days I go waaay over and some days I'm under. I wouldn't worry. :)
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    I have done A LOT of research on this. According to all my sources (doctors, health consults, books, etc) its good to eat one gram of protein for every pound you weigh.

Yes. Aim for 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass or goal body weight. If you want to weigh 130 aim for 130, etc.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    The RDA's for protein are too low anyways.

Yay for heavy weights! (not quite there yet though).
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I love going over on protein..feed those muscles baby :)

this
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options

best advice on these forums.
  • HOOKEM13
    HOOKEM13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. that really eases some wonder. I lift and seem to put on the muscle everywhere except for my stomach. that just stays the same. Thus why I wondered if it would cause me not to lose the fat