Panera Bread

Options
I am new to MFP, today is only my second day but I am loving it! The next two days I will be at a confrence and I know one day we will be going to Panera Bread for lunch. I've never been to Panera Bread, any suggestions for a lunch that won't kill my calorie count?

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You could probably go through the database here or even check their website.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    A lot of Panera items have calorie info available there (some even posted on the menu board)
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Panera bread is amazingly delicious, they also list their calories on their website. - The only thing I would keep in mind is that their Sodium is through the roof, so make sure to drink TONS of water!
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Go to thier website and see if they have a nutrional guide, they have great soups maybe one of those. Good luck and welcome.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Panera goes so far as to put the cal count for most of their foods directly on their menus, in store and online.
  • Ashbee1224
    Options
    My Panera Bread has all their calories listed next to the food item on the menu, it's nice!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Panera is high in sodium and also in calories. Check their website ahead of time so you can get an idea of what to ask/eat. Be aware of their soups because they seem to be healthy but the sodium will give instant high blood pressure.
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    before I go to any restaurant or cafe I always check their menu online and decide at home, what Im going to order and stick with my decision. look up their website and click on their menu to view it.
  • stephding
    stephding Posts: 16
    Options
    Salads. Whole wheat bread on the smallest sandwich they have. Ditch the cheese and mayo or any cream sauce. If nothing else, just eat, mark your calories and do an extra brisk walk outside or what not to burn it off. That's what nice about MFP, it doesn't deprive you of anything, just makes you aware. If I eat a cookie that will put me over, I do extra exercise.. works out nice.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I went there once for breakfast, and had the egg and cheese breakfast sandwich, it was pretty big and filling. If you have that and a piece of fruit, should be enough for lunch?
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you stay away from the sandwiches you should do ok. I usually go with the black bean soup and greek salad. The pick 2 portions of these equal 300 cals all together. Get the apple instead of the bread or chips. The full salads aren't bad either. One thing about Panera that I like is that they post the calories right on the menu board so it makes your choices easier.
  • hmlayman
    hmlayman Posts: 70
    Options
    You should probably be more worried about sodium than calories. In general stay away from the breads and soups. A salad is always good considering you do not use a lot of fattening dressing, croutons or cheese.
  • seussfan
    seussfan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always get the Thai Chopped Chicken Salad (whole) and when they ask if you want bread or an apple - get the apple! The salad is 390 calories and then you would add the apple. VERY filling - it is a spicy dressing, but I like it a lot.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    their website is awesome for the nutrition info. They also have the calories listed on the menu (at least ours around here does) so you can see what you're in for before you even order.

I usually get the "you pick two" option with a soup and half sandwich. The low fat chicken soup is only around 100 cal. I usually can eat lunch there for under 400.

With the You Pick Two you get a choice of bread or apple, and while I LOVE the bread, I usually get the apple. The bread is about 150-180 calories for the chunk they give you. I like the apple because I don't HAVE TO eat it at lunch time. I can shove it in my purse for later.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the "You Pick 2" and getting the chopped Thai Chopped Chicken Salad and the Low Fat Vegetarian Black Bean Soup. Even with the included baguette, it is under 500 calories.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I always get the Thai Chopped Chicken Salad (whole) and when they ask if you want bread or an apple - get the apple! The salad is 390 calories and then you would add the apple. VERY filling - it is a spicy dressing, but I like it a lot.

I have never been offered an apple! Did not know that was even available.
  • alyssa83202
    alyssa83202 Posts: 334
    Options

I have never been offered an apple! Did not know that was even available.
    me either!
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Do the u pick 2, the vegetable soup and the tomato and mozzerella sandwich isn't too bad.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The only thing I get from Panera (now after reviewing the NI months ago) is the Republic Peach Tea (hot) or coffee and I bring my own creamer.

Their food is high in calories and sodium!!!! A whole sandwich is about 500 calories or more. A bowl of soup has three days worth of sodium, and lets not even talk about their desserts... Not worth it.

I can make a WHOLE sandwich and a bowl of soup at home for a total of 300 cal.
  • britfish
    britfish Posts: 4
    Options
    thank you so much for your replies! I am definitely going to check out their website, I never would have thought to look! I just want to be prepared when I go there for lunch so I don't make the wrong choices. And I'll be sure to bring a big water bottle for the rest of the day!