Advice to Newbies

Options
Hi and welcome if you are new to MFP.

I would like to offer one piece of advice; TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS. Neck, bust, mid-rif, waist, hips, just below hips (widest part), thighs, knees and bicep area.

I have found like many others on here that the scale doesnt always move which can be very demotivating. I have lost 8lb in 8 weeks which is how i want to do it,; some weeks I lose nothing BUT I have lost 16" and thats what keeps me going as well as all the support on here.

Good luck

Replies

• Dreamersland
    Options
    Thanks Herb1968!
  • SindeeLucy
    Options
    Good advice that I must take soon! I admit that I haven't measured..... Thank you!
  • Rockd13
    Rockd13 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!!
  • Idoiya
    Idoiya Posts: 2
    Options
    I havent' measured either and was told specifically that I should. So now I am going to do that first thing this evening. Thanks for the feedback!:smile:
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So, so true Herby!
  • Awali_99
    Awali_99 Posts: 1
    Options
    Well I'm new. I did not take all those measurements, but will do. Thanks I know about the scale not moving after a week of effort. Since I have join and started journaling I am loosing and paying attention to what I eat.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    BUMP - this is important, thank you for reminding me that I should do this now.
  • karla1083
    karla1083 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you! I have not done that!
  • 1ChunkyMonkeyMommy
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'm new and appreciate any of the advice I can get!!
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    I'll do this right now! Thanks for the advice. :)
  • Time4AChng
    Time4AChng Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is so very true. The inches are much more encouraging than the scale. I also did before and after pictures and I and many friends were amazed at the progress in just 1 month. It really helped me when I realized the scale seemed to be going in the wrong direction. Hopefully I'm building muscle because I am working out like crazy and staying within my calories.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I tried the measurements thing and it did not seem to go down. So I just hammered the weight down through more exercise and less eating. I am going to try and take a measure soon because I am curious.

Thanks for the reminder!
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The o/p is so right.I never took any measurements and so regret that now.Fortunately my jeans and shirts that I have to keep replacing tell me whats going on,but it would have been good to have some original comparisons.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    My belt is my measurement system. I am about to move to the 4th hole of one I couldn't think of wearing in January.
  • ak21211
    ak21211 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    got a weird question ... a little embarasinG! how would you take measurements if you have a hanging belly ... :S
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Not sure. Just measure it as I am sure it will go down as you lose weight and exercise
  • paugustin25
    Options
    Hello, all
    Newbie here :-)

Trish is the name
    Started my weight loss jouney this week :flowerforyou:
    SW: 266.2
    CW: 265.2
    GW: 145
  • Barbarajo57
    Barbarajo57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here as of 4/10 and so far so good! It has been fun so far to track everything and I have enjoyed watching what I eat and my exercise. I would love advice to help me on this journey my goal is 50# WOW!
  • singbelle
    Options
    Agree!!

I had done measurements a few weeks ago, and then was devastated to see that after a month of exercising and trying to eat right, I had GAINED weight. :sad:

I checked my measurements on Sunday, and I have lost 2 inches on my waist and an inch on my hips! :happy:

So it is working!
  • pbjelly524
    Options
    That is good advice!