Army Physical Fitness Test question

Options
One of my long-term goals is to complete the Army Physical Fitness Test and score a 100 across the board. This means completing 46 standard push-ups, 80 standard sit-ups, and completing a 2 mile run in 15:36 or less. Does anyone know if these tests are administered right after the other or is there some kind of break in between? Would greatly appreciate anyone who could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks!

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Army but don't believe any real break at least for the USMC.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    They are currently in the process of redoing the physical fitness test, so you may want to re-evaluate your numbers.

Read more here: http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/02/28/52548-tradoc-revises-army-physical-fitness-test/
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    One of my long-term goals is to complete the Army Physical Fitness Test and score a 100 across the board. This means completing 46 standard push-ups, 80 standard sit-ups, and completing a 2 mile run in 15:36 or less. Does anyone know if these tests are administered right after the other or is there some kind of break in between? Would greatly appreciate anyone who could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks!

This article was on oline in CNN last week.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/08/army.fitness.test/index.html?iref=allsearch
  • fattybumchum22
    fattybumchum22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From what I understand when they do a PT test - all the steps are done one right after another.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If its anything like the Police Academy, it in one right after another to test your endurance.

Good luck!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    They are completely redoing the standard PT test. There will be a 60 yard shuttle run (like suicides), a standing long jump, rowers, 1 minute of pushups, and a 1.5 mile run.

Check out this article on CNN about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/08/army.fitness.test/index.html?iref=allsearch
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    U.S. Army Retired here.

Pushups then situps then two mile run.

You will have five or ten minutes between each depending on how many people are being tested.
  • kgfit
    kgfit Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, some discussion of changing it. But if you want to use the current test, the Army gives you up to 10 minutes between exercises--and always done pushups, situps, and run last. So if you took the entire time, 2 minutes of pushups, 10 minute rest, 2 minutes of situps, 10 minute rest, then your 15:36 run.
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    There is an app on the Iphone that has the regulation attached. My husband is Army and I am Air Force Reserve - we have a around a 3 minute break between each. This is mostly due to moving around of people, but the Air Force Regulation allows for the 3 minutes. Try the Air Force test - it just standardized and you only get one minute for the push-ups and 1 minutes for the full sit ups. The only difference really is that it is a mile and a half run and the size of your waist is part of your score. If you fail in one category - you FAIL.It is tough!!! But if you are trying to hit a self strength test, it is a good measure.

Best of luck to you. :happy:
  • marydude
    marydude Posts: 5
    Options
    Having taken the ARMY Physical Fitness Test (APFT) several times through 16 years of service...the three events are sequential - first push ups, then sit ups and then the 2 mile run. The length of time between depends partially on the number of soldiers being tested and the number of graders. There is a minimal rest period required between events if there are no other delays - I think its at least 5 minutes. The news has been saying changes are expected - but I don't know how quickly they will be implemented. Good luck!!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options

Thanks!

2-minutes of Push Ups
    8-10 Minute Rest
    2 minutes sit-ups
    8-10 minute rest
    2 mile run

100 for a 26-year female are as follows:
    PU: 46
    SU: 80
    Run: 15:36
    That will score a 300 (max) on the APFT.

The new APFT is going to be different though, and unlike the current APFT will actually access a soldier's combat readiness and physical fitness :P