Swimming

Options
Is anyone swimming as your primary exercise? I am training for an open water swim and completed a mile in the pool last night in 30 minutes, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on drills to increase my speed?
Thanks. Mandi

Replies

• chasekilgannon
    Options
    I remember when I would practice in high school swim. When you would swim fifty yards, you would time yourself with the clock, and then work to lower the time. We were at least supposed to maintain a minute and twenty seconds or lower on 50 yds. Do the math per 50 and try to lower that time. Take 5 second breaks between every 50 yards, but give a lot of effort when you swim.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do ladders for increasing distance --- swim 100, rest 30 sec, swim 200, rest 30 sec, swim 300, rest 30 sec., swim 400, rest 30 sec, then go back down starting with 300

On beginnertriathlete.com there are a bunch of articles on drills. My favorite is kick 25, swim 25, pull buoy 25 and I do this like 12 times.

Also, swimming with a local masters group -- sound intimitading, but they are really nice. Just stay as far over in the left lane (slower lanes are left to right) it will kick your butt! but make you stronger.

Also, swim 100's by first 25 slow, second 25 a little faster, third 25 push it and fourth 25 balls to the wall. Rest for a minute and do it again --- like sprinting for swimmers :)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your form, it is hard to comment, but try some of these drills. You can likely google them (or look at US Masters Swimming site) to see form:

Log rolls - this helps train swimming in a knife-edge
    Six kicks left, six kicks right - similar to log rolls, six kick with your left side down, stroke and turn, six kicks with right side down
    Finger tip drag: drag your finger tips along the top of the water during your stroke
    Thumb Drag - during your stroke, drag your thumb up you side from your hip to your armpit. Encourages high elbows
    Hypoxic sets - start with 4 breaths per 25. Then drop to 3, 2, and then 1.
    Pull Buoy - NO hand paddles - that's cheating!
    Single arm strokes
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I have swam Masters, but right now it is not at a convenient time with my work schedule, so I hav been training on my own at night....
    I definately think I will relax from just swimming the mile now that I know I can do it, and work on the sprint styled drills!